RyanAir charges?

josa

Surely if everyone checks in on-line and there is no physical check to see who is on the plane, or not, then there will be delays everywhere. If we all arrive 30 minutes before flight time, as recommended, customs will be overwhelmed with the rush and will cause delays, the very thing ryanair are claiming to ease with on-line check in.

Then the ryanair staff will do a bikini clad head count and realise that some passengers are missing, are they at the airport ?? Well they checked in on-line......Did they clear customs ?? Hello,Mr customs man,  ryanair flight RN 606 here, can you check your  data base to see if MR and Mrs R notere have checked in...............no we can't says mr customs man we are not a checking in system

Perhaps i am just being a wee bit sceptical but i can see all sorts of problems.

With no check in desks there is no 30 minute drop dead limit, now you're either at the gate for boarding or you're not, EOS. It could work in some peoples favour though. Take the case where you are late and the check in is closed, previously you were dead meat but now you still have a chance to get to the gate and catch the flight. Maybe security will be told not to accept late comers though otherwise you could have miscellaneous bodies floating around airside with nowhere to go.

And what customs check are you talking about, presumably you mean security.

[quote user="sharkhunter"]Surely if everyone checks in on-line and there is no physical check to see who is on the plane, or not, then there will be delays everywhere. If we all arrive 30 minutes before flight time, as recommended, customs will be overwhelmed with the rush and will cause delays, the very thing ryanair are claiming to ease with on-line check in.
Then the ryanair staff will do a bikini clad head count and realise that some passengers are missing, are they at the airport ?? Well they checked in on-line......Did they clear customs ?? Hello,Mr customs man,  ryanair flight RN 606 here, can you check your  data base to see if MR and Mrs R notere have checked in...............no we can't says mr customs man we are not a checking in system

Perhaps i am just being a wee bit sceptical but i can see all sorts of problems.
[/quote]

Hmmm You obviously don't fly very often in the EU  or understand the concept of on-line check in do you? 

You check in "on line".  If you do not turn up Ryanair will know as you have not been through security where your boarding pass is "read". As you board you are checked off against those who checked in AND have been through security. As part of the check in on line you have to enter your passport details and those are checked by Ryanair staff as you board.

Surely if everyone checks in on-line and there is no

physical check to see who is on the plane, or not, then there will be

delays everywhere. If we all arrive 30 minutes before flight time, as

recommended, customs will be overwhelmed with the rush and will cause

delays, the very thing ryanair are claiming to ease with on-line check

in.

Then the ryanair staff will do a bikini clad head count and

realise that some passengers are missing, are they at the airport ??

Well they checked in on-line......Did they clear customs ?? Hello,Mr

customs man,  ryanair flight RN 606 here, can you check your  data base

to see if MR and Mrs R notere have checked in...............no we can't

says mr customs man we are not a checking in system

Hmmm You obviously don't fly very often in the EU  or understand the concept of on-line check in do you? 

Hi Ron, the

first paragraph was meant to be a serious observation re arriving half

hour before departure and the ensueing carnage trying to all get

through customs, get on board and depart on time.

The second was a bit tongue in cheek, re bikini clad staff, but with a certain amount anxiety mixed in.

And

to your observation that i do not fly very often in the EU, where did

you gather that gem of information from ?? From the above posting ? You

have assumed that i do not-  1, fly often or 2, do not understand the

concept of online check in.

I suppose you have gleaned it from

reading between the lines, i shall then suppose, by reading between the

lines, that you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to

my flying habits or my ability to understand the concept of online

check in.........this is of course supposition and not an actual

fact....cos i don't know you. [:D]

The reality is that i fly to

Scotland with Ryanair normally five times a year, from Bergerac means

two flights to get there and two back = four,  times five trips PA = 20

trips per year with Ryanair and all with online check in so i do

understand the concept.

Kindest regards and best wishes...................[;-)]

[quote user="sharkhunter"]Hi Ron, the first paragraph was meant to be a serious observation re arriving half hour before departure and the ensueing carnage trying to all get through customs, get on board and depart on time. [/quote]

I fly Ryanair Liverpool-Bergerac/Limoges and always book in on-line. At Liverpool it would be very unwise to leave it as late as 30 mins before departure as it could take that time to get through security, not because everyone has booked in online but because of shear volume of passengers for other flights, even if you pay £2 for the fast lane it is not always that much faster! so to my mind if you turn up at Liverpool 30 mins before you are likely to miss the flight! I think the 30 mins is to be at the gate not at the airport!

Now Bergerac or Limoges is a different matter as they only have one/two flights at a time and it might be possible, but last time I flew out of Bergerac I had 50 mins to spare before scheduled take off  so I thought I would get a coffee and bun instead of on the plane but was just about to order when our names were read out over the tannoy to go straight to security which I did and we were boarded and left 15 mins early.

My thoughts were: what if I hadn't got there till the 30 mins would they have left without me![:-))]

Hi Ron, perhaps as a form of protest we could all collaborate our info re flights and arrive with 30 mins to boarding/gate time to see them squirm [:D]

People power often wins in the end.

That said i have flights booked for April and May and i need to get them, perhaps later in the year [:P]

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend

Having just returned from a weekend in UK I notice some developments with airports and R-A. 

At Frankfurt-Hahn (nowhere near Frankfurt) there are no check in staff, just lots of check in terminals and a bag drop staffed by one person.  There were also scales where you could check the weight of your bag for coin-in-the-slot 50 cents or one pound (I kid you not).  This was provided by the airport I think as it had on it the allowances of the three main users of Hahn airport.  R-A allowance was most miserly at 15Kgs and €15 per each excess kilo.

At the entrance to security checking, where your booking voucher is checked and you are relieved of excess fluids, there was another set of scales and many people were 'invited' to put their hand baggage on it (free this time).  One gram over the 10Kgs and they were made to check it in as hold baggage with all the cost that entails.  The hand baggage scale was a R-A facility I think as it had their logo all over it.

Similar equipment at Stansted but I didn't see anyone having to weigh their hand baggage but I'm sure that will come.

I've flown R-A many, many times over the years but now with the ever increasing restrictions (will soon have to pay for online booking in I hear?) and the cost of parking at Hahn going up and the hassle of getting there and the inconvienient flight times I fear that I will not be using them in future.  Always my choice I know and no-one forces me to fly but the time has come to look elsewhere.   It does mean I have to book my flights further ahead to get good deals on BA, VLM or Luxair but I suppose it's about time I got organised.

As many on here will know I have always been a firm supporter of my brother's airline[Www], but it would really make a lot of sense now if he just scrapped the weight restriction on hand luggage or upped it to 20Kg the same as EasyJet/  After all as long as it fits within the size criteria how much could anyone get into a case that size?  What difference does 5 - 10kg make given the variants in passenger weights?  I read somewhere that getting people and hand luggage off the ground is the least problem for an airplane and to make people weigh their hand luggage with the specific purpose of making a extra euros on a couple of kilos over weight will not win Michael any friends despite his blarney about the cheap fares, after all if EasyJet can let people have 20kgs so can RyanAir.

However, are those weighing machines at that German airport a sign of German efficiency?  (pay 0,50€ or 30€ later) [:-))] and German vigour for enforcing rules?  If so, it will not spread to France where we famously don't have any rules, given the size of cases I have seen rammed into the overheads  on Jet2, Ryanair and KLM Citylink.[:D]  I can quite believe that.

Unless it has changed recently Easyjet impose no weight limit on hand baggage it just needs to be within the prescribed dimensions and not so heavy that you cannot place it in the overhead locker unaided.

An extreme thought on the size-v-weight question; the maximum hand baggage size of 56 x 45 x 25 is roughly equal to 1/16th of a m3, packed with lead that would weigh 700kg+ [:P]