HELP - ARRAS TO TOURS AVOIDING PARIS

nick16

Well, it's true I got hit by a lorry when I was last there but it was hardly Rouen's fault and it happened to be a time when I diverted from my normal route and tried something new.  That'll teach me!  But really, it is very easy when you've got the hang of it (that's the rub, I suppose!)

Like many others, I'm sure, I was not looking forward to crossing Paris on the Calais-SW France run. So much so that I once tried the Rouen way. I've only done it once. The Périphérique is straightforward from Arras - just follow the signs to Bordeaux/Nantes until you get across Paris. I imagine that rush-hour is best avoided but it takes only about three-quarters of an hour to clear the capital. I found the Rouen way very tedious and a lot slower.

[quote user="plod"]Like many others, I'm sure, I was not looking forward to crossing Paris on the Calais-SW France run. So much so that I once tried the Rouen way. I've only done it once. The Périphérique is straightforward from Arras - just follow the signs to Bordeaux/Nantes until you get across Paris. I imagine that rush-hour is best avoided but it takes only about three-quarters of an hour to clear the capital. I found the Rouen way very tedious and a lot slower.[/quote]Plod, I have to ask - I assume this was since the full opening of the A28?

[quote user="nick16"]

In August I shall have to drive from Arras to Tours. Is there an easy way of avoiding Paris? Any answers gratefully received.

[/quote]

Choose your day carefully, in August I would avoid Fri - Mon inclusive whichever route is taken.

My experience of driving around Paris is limited but admit that it was not nearly as bad as I feared and nothing like the M25 or the Birmingham bit of the M6.

John

I have tried both routes, and have been lucky getting through Paris traffic on one mid morning mid week occasion. Michelin gives 4 hours via Paris and 5 hrs via Rouen, but this does not allow for traffic delays in Paris and I have a couple of horrendous experiences of Paris traffic, so now avoid adding to the traffic chaos there at all costs, and always go via Rouen, there is a short stretch of solid traffic crawl guaranteed on the way out of the Rouen but this is more than made up for by the emptyness of the rest of the route and I have always made good time this way[8-|]

Benjamin - LOL - brilliant description!

I have used both the Paris and Rouen routes and much prefer the Rouen journey. And yes, it can get a bit tedious, but the A.28 is just so easy and so traffic-free...

Whichever you choose, bon voyage!

• 2 weeks later...

I usually travel Via Rouen (Is it twinned with Milton Keynes.....it does have concrete coos)

Never had any real bother getting through albeit it's usually late evening when I go through there.

A28 is perhaps the most featureless place on the planet (With the exception of a couple of interesting bridges and some GI --Normous buzzards) but it's a very quick way to get to Alencon.