LD Lines

Normally use the tunnel but have had to use LD lines Dover-Bologne a couple of times recently so I can take a van down with some furniture.

On each journey the ferries have been virtually empty, there is tons of space onboard including full recliner seats, the trips, loading and unloading have been pleasant relaxed and hassel free.

Its just a pity it turns my 9 hour door to door via the tunnel into a 12 hour (and of course no extra ferry half an hour later if I am delayed). 

Based on the number of passengers they cannot be making much money on this route. 

That particular ferry operator concentrates on freight; passenger traffic is really only a sideline (though a nicely profitable one at peak times) so I doubt if the company is too worried about lack of bums on seats, as long as there are plenty of trucks and trailers in the hold.

We used the Boulogne/Dover route the other week as the offer was even cheaper than our normal  "Frequent traveller" rates for the tunnel. It was an excellent service but, and there is a but, getting out of Dover docks took forever; so that with the longer journey is a down side. Also as Stan said if you miss the ferry it's a long wait for the next one. If only Speed ferries had made a go of their enterprise?

I still preferred the old boat from Newhaven Dieppe and a cabin for night.  The old service was great, the food was exactly how it would be in any lunch time Auberge, an array of salad entries, same with main courses. The full cheese board and desert and coffee to follow. All for 11 euros, less if you were a lorry driver. The old days in this case were best (only 8 years ago) [:)]

We live in Brighton so we use LD's Newhaven-Dieppe route frequently as Newhaven is only 20 minutes away.  Getting out of Dieppe is very easy and we normally head for 72 or 84 via Rouen which is really simple.

As others have said, LD's focus is on freight so passenger vehicles usually have plenty of space.  On our route the quality of the food is lower than you might expect so we bring our own.  Prices tend to be quite competitive so all in all it suits us very well.

I think the reason that replies were less than forthcoming is that LD Lines, after a stable start, now changes its boats and timetables so frequently that any information posted one week will be out of date by the next. Things aren't always logical; one would have expected that with an additional boat coming to Boulogne the timetable would be spread out a bit more, but apparently the latest crossing is moving two hours forward.

As far as I know, the Portsmouth-Le Havre route is running to schedule at present. However, the choice of ships to operate it is rather strange. The two vessels are:

Norman Arrow, the high speed catamaran originally used on the Boulogne route, that proved unable to load and unload freight traffic quickly enough so its speed advantage was more than wiped out (and that damaged itself in its early days on the Portsmouth route but is now repaired), and

One of the two sister ships built specifically for Newhaven-Dieppe, as such it is too small for its new route, and lacks cabin facilities.

We have used LD lines about 8 -9 times in the last year. Both on the Newhaven Dieppe and Portsmouth Le Havre routes. We find the boats clean and comfortable and loading and unloading fine.

Sometimes it seems to take a while as sort out which size of vehicle to put on next, but normally not too bad.

We went on the ferry from Barcelona to Majorca a couple of years ago and that was choas! After that LD lines seem really organised!

We have used both the reclining seats and the sleeper seats which are more comfortable. The total no. of cabins seems limited, so book one early if its an issue for you.

The food seems quite expensive for what it is, so take your own is the best bet. Although the brandy i had as a nghtcap last month was large enough to fell an ox!

We find the western channel routes much better for us as both the drive to the port from the west midlands and from the channel to 18 are much easier than going Dover Calais.

We used to go with Brittany Ferries - but now the price difference is too great to ignore, and I check every time!

Hope this helps

Forgot to mention, if you phone and book directly with Transmanch Ferries you can get a 20% discount on the Newhaven dieppe route if you are disabled, over 60 or under 25. My DiL booked their holiday like this and got the discount as she is only 24, despite the fact that my son is 27. So it pays to check....

So,  can anyone tell me we ave a 6 seater transit van which we are using to travel to our camping holiday in France, are there any restrictions on how much personal camping stuff you carry like on Eurotunnel where you can only take up to 3 cubic meters....thinking of changing my booking to these instead!

Thanks for that I actually phoned them today and they confirmed we can fill it as much as we like, they did also provide an email reply which said that the weight did not matter, although yes it will have its own max weight limit anyway.

Are LD lines ok really for families to travel on, especially having read someone was suprised theirs did not sink!! I feel a little cautious now!

Thanks in advance

Is it better to pay the extra £35 and go via P&O ?

Does nyone know if P&O accomodate transit vans without restrictions on how much 'camping stuff' you are taking, or is it just LD Lines who are more flexible??

It"s just Eurotunnel that are inflexible.

That said most vans are loaded with far more than 3 cubic  metres some loaded to the gunwhales and very few are actually checked, some of the staff can also be hoodwinked by the difference between, 3 metres cubed (27m3) and 3 cubic metres.

I have been using Transmanche and LD Lines regularly for a few years now and have no real complaints about their service. In fact, they have been very good to me on more than one occasion.

BUT although not their staff, they are let down by the port staff at Newhaven which I find to be a totally amateurish set-up staffed by real jobsworths! Having said that, the port staff at Dieppe, Boulogne and Dover are absolutely fine.

I have never had a problem with their ferries or the onboard staff who are always very friendly and helpful. Similarly, I have never been on a dirty LD/Transmanche ferry, albeit I notice they have swapped the Dover/Boulogne ship to an older one which I will be travelling on for the first time in a few weeks time.

When the price is right, my route of choice is Newhaven/Dieppe, but I am always pleased when we are leaving Dieppe!

My only whinge is that the food onboard, whilst OK, is very overpriced.

[quote user="nitnat"]

Are LD lines ok really for families to travel on, especially having read someone was suprised theirs did not sink!! I feel a little cautious now!

[/quote]

The gist of my original post was that the crossings were pretty devoid of people.  I would have thought it was great for families with plenty of space.  There is a kids playroom to the front, reclining seats upstairs and even a sleeper seats room at no extra cost.  Plenty of room in the rear bar and even the outside decks.

The ship does look a bit tired but is certainly not dirty.  As I said the only drawback was that it puts about 2.5 hours onto my total journey compared with the tunnel.