My doofah's fallen off

I believe that the adhesive may have melted in the hot spell in the UK a couple of weeks ago (it's never happened in France).

I have memories from many years ago of not being very successful at re-sticking rear view mirrors. I guess adhesive technology has moved on a bit since then. Any thoughts please on how to re-apply the doofah holder so that I'm ready for my trip next week. Should I try to melt the residue of adhesive on the windscreen, for example?

Regards

Mike

Good quality double sided sellotape.

Won't last for ever - but then neither did the original glue.

From which you can gether it happened to me as well.  The old doofers are rather heavy compared to the new and like you I surmised that the glue started to break down under strong heat.

Swissie and wooly

I am touched by your concern but I believe everything is ok in the area to which you refer. Although, to be honest, I haven't actually been able to see it for some time. Please rest assured that I am not a "wrong forum bozo" sort of person so any future problems will be reported on the Health forum and not the Travelling forum.  [:)]

Mike

[quote user="michelin79"][quote user="andyh4"]

Good quality double sided sellotape.

[/quote]

Thanks Andy, I'll give it a try.

[/quote]

Double sided thin foam tape, it's what manufacturers stick number plates on with, very cheap on Ebay for a roll or very expensive in Halfords for 2 inches!!

I have lots of it so would give you couple of inches for free.

Considering that mine (older style one) has failed to fall off in some 3 years of  40deg+ air temperatures, and more inside the car itself, I think it's highly unlikely that the UK sun is entirely responsible for yours letting go, more likely the screen was not scrupulously clean when you stuck it on in the first place. Cleanliness is the secret and that can only be achieved by use of a solvent of some sort, a wipe with a cloth or a duster is useless.

Of course in many cases there is no need for it to be stuck on the screen anyway because if it's not in it's screened bag it can still work even if it's tucked away in the glovebox, mine does- I know !

PS: John Bobbit would be the expert in refitting detatched doodah's [;-)]

Oh how I wish I had entitled my post "The centre-windscreen located receptacle for my telepeage transponder has de-located itself from its correct position"

I think I'll go over to the Language forum now to see if I can find out the French for double entendre!

Mike

[quote user="AnOther"]

Considering that mine (older style one) has failed to fall off in some 3 years of  40deg+ air temperatures, and more inside the car itself, I think it's highly unlikely that the UK sun is entirely responsible for yours letting go, more likely the screen was not scrupulously clean when you stuck it on in the first place. Cleanliness is the secret and that can only be achieved by use of a solvent of some sort, a wipe with a cloth or a duster is useless.

[/quote]

I say! Accusing another chap's OH of not cleaning the car properly is not good form. [;-)]

I would tend to agree with you as mine had also remained attached for some time but it did seem to have come off in the extreme heat when it had been left directly facing the sun. It was originally attached when the car was brand new but admittedly I didn't think of  cleaning the screen with solvent. So now I have a bigger cleaning job as the residue remains on the screen. Any ideas on what type of adhesive should then be used? Or, as others have suggested, is the sticky tape the preferred option rather than just the temporary solution.

Of course in many cases there is no need for it to be stuck on the screen anyway because if it's not in it's screened bag it can still work even if it's tucked away in the glovebox, mine does- I know !

That's interesting because the provider of the doofah makes the point that it should be placed in the "hatched" area of the screen. I'll try just waving it at the peage or even leaving it in the glove-box.

As far as the screened bag is concerned, it's probably been debated before but are you sure it's screened because it doesn't look a lot different from an anti-static bag?

Mike

Hey, you're lucky your OH cleans the car at all !

I personally would have no confidence at all in double sided sellotape lasting more than a few days in a hot sun. The number plate type sticky pads might work a bit better but the proper way to stick it on would be with the type of pads made for refixing the interior mirror, having thoroughly cleaned the area first.

The point about where to fix them on the windscreen is to do with avoiding any heated screen elements which many cars are fitted with these days as these can interfere with the operation.

The bag may not look much different to an anti static one but it is. Furthermore, as there is absolutely no reason whatsoever for such a device to need an anti static bag for storage, why would they bother supplying one ?

Best thing is, next time you go through a peage station with nobody up your chuff, have a little play and see for yourself. Start off with it in the glove box or possibly in the door pocket and go from there. Remember though that not all peage stations are the same and what works for one may not for the the next but worst case scenario is that you have to wave it out of the window.

[quote user="AnOther"]

Hey, you're lucky your OH cleans the car at all !

I personally would have no confidence at all in double sided sellotape lasting more than a few days in a hot sun. The number plate type sticky pads might work a bit better but the proper way to stick it on would be with the type of pads made for refixing the interior mirror, having thoroughly cleaned the area first.

[/quote]

The type of pads used for sticking interior mirrors is the same that sticks number plates. It just costs a fortune bought by the inch. I buy a roll 10m for a £5 Carspares shops sell £3 for two inches

As I said I will send you some for gratis if you want, As AnOther said cleaning with a an alcohol wipe is very important.

....... which you do when it is raining and then drop it and it rolls under the car and you have to back up to get it back but there are 75 cars now behind you all driven by raving madmen who wanna be there yesterday or just wanna make the Rosbif squirm and the hoot and hoot and hoot....... (please finish the story)

I just fish the doofer out of the side pocket, hold it up near the windscreen and off we go; it's only ever played up once. Definitely no waving it out of the window - that's why we got one in the first place, so I didn't have to stick an arm out with my credit card when hailstones were coming at me horizontally! [:)]

Isn't waving your doofer out of the window illegal?  No wonder it's fallen off.[Www]

Seriously, I've stuck mine on the hatched section of the windscreen (having tested the positioning through a few payages with my o/h in the passenger seat first) with no probs at all and I store it under the seat when not in use.  Waving it anywhere sounds like just too much hassle to me!  Having said that, you can bet that my doofer will decide to  fall off now....