Can Anyone Recommend A Stopping Off Point (Calais to La Reole)

meiklejohn

When we used to do this trip (to Duras, so near enough), we used to stop at the Amboise IBIS.  Depends on your route, but would have thought Sees was too far north and you would have a long journey the next day.

Amboise depends on what route you chose.  We found that after Chartres, we might well mix the autoroute and N10, though for many years the N10 was our preferred route, except for autoroute around (say) Poitiers, and if so, the N10 down from Chartres (good except for Chatellerault), after Vendome, you arrive at the Amboise road.  This road goes round Amboise, and the IBIS is on this road, near a Le Clerc's, and from there we followed the route which avoided Tours and arrived back at the N10 just south of Descartes. 

If you want more details, pm me, I can find the actual instructions we used for navigating if you need them.

We have always found that somewhere in the Loire valley area is a good half way stopping point.

I'll probably stick to the Motorway though the tolls could be dear.

I have looked at stopping in Angers for the night as it's a city I previously visited and absolutely loved.

I would probably prefer to stay somewhere nice rather than a Motorway Hotel

Actually what about Saumur? Anyone been?

I love Saumur - it's actually quite small so good for overnight and to pick up some fizz bargains at the same time (the Gratien and Meyer built-into-cliff caves are stunning)  and has a very horsey heritage too.   It's a long time since I actually spent the night though so can't speak for hotels these days.

[quote user="cooperlola"] I love Saumur - it's actually quite small so good for overnight and to pick up some fizz bargains at the same time (the Gratien and Meyer built-into-cliff caves are stunning)  [/quote]

I can vouch for both Saumur, (though these places aren't worth the detour for just half an hour stopover, it takes longer than that to get into), and Gratien & Meyer Rose, just lovely, we still have a bottle left we are struggling to resist[:D]