In your hand luggage, can you carry....

mint

a large box of homemade cakes?

I have been experimenting with a mixture similar to a muffin mixture to which I add mincemeat and spices.  Think I'll call them mincepuffins to amuse OH's petits enfants.

But, I don't want to pack a boxful only for them to be confiscated!

Anyone know the rules or has taken something similar?

OH took a packed lunch (sandwiches and fruit) through in his hand luggage. He was stopped and it was opened, because it (apparently) showed up on the x-ray as "organic material", but they let him through. Oddly, the sandwiches caused more fuss than the large piece of aluminium sheeting that was also in there....

That's reminded me of the time OH took some hard-boiled eggs (cooked eggs left over when ours was just a holiday home and I didn't want to throw them away) and, because of the oval shape of the eggs, the security personnel all got very excitable.

OH was made to remove the eggs and show them and, in mischievous mood, he made as if to drop them, at which everyone dived for cover!

Still, tout est bien qui finit bien because they just laughed and let him through.

Me, I wasn't in the least bit amused, having visions of his spending time in some sort of detention centre.

Well, the nice man at JFK got vaguely exercised about my hairbrush when we were coming back from New York, but only in a sort of laid-back New York way. I could see where he was coming from, though, because on the x-ray (whilst I have no idea what a nail bomb might look like) it looked awfully like a nail bomb to me. I still had to open my case and prove it was a hairbrush, though!

Just tell them you made them yourself; to an authentic English recipé using only the finest English ingredients, and you would love for them to try one [6]

No way in hell will they confiscate them and you will be expressed through customs quicker than you would believe was possible, a good time to smuggle through some real contraband methinks.

[quote user="PeterG"]

If it's anything like my OH's baking.......remember the weight limit is 10kg.

[/quote]

[:D]

Thank you, everybody.

I'll get OH to say they are for les petits enfants and I think that should work.

I once carried a HUGE bunch of dahlias and I told them they were from our garden and OH couldn't come with me and that they were for him.  I got a lot of smiles and the flowers were greatly admired.

These French have such a sentimental side to them, n'est-ce pas?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Well, the nice man at JFK got vaguely exercised about my hairbrush when we were coming back from New York, but only in a sort of laid-back New York way. I could see where he was coming from, though, because on the x-ray (whilst I have no idea what a nail bomb might look like) it looked awfully like a nail bomb to me. I still had to open my case and prove it was a hairbrush, though!

[/quote]

You've solved a mystery - I could never work out why the guard at Trichi airport in India spent so long trying to screw off the handle on my hairbrush - now I know!

SW17 - I've taken a loaf of bread through with no problems.

If it's on Ryanair, everything - sandwiches, candle, loaf, dahlias, and lethal hairbrush would have to be actually inside your hand baggage! Unless of course you're the person immediately in front of me, in which case you can get away with an oversize and overweight bag PLUS your laptop in a separate case! [:-))] Oh the joys of air travel. [:D]

Just come on to say "hello" to you, Pat, and to you, Sid.

We went to "midnight mass" in our village at 5 pm because the priest has to get round a number of parishes and we got to meet several people from our village that we'd not so far come across.

Then, we had our "reveillon" at 7.30 pm because I ain't cooking OR eating in the middle of the night.

Oh, the joys or eccentricities (whichever you wish to call it) of second childhood!

Have a wonderful Christmas and may the New Year bring you good health and good fortune [:)]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Polremy"]Did you make it, SW17? How did you get on?[/quote]

Thanks for asking, Polremy.  No problems with the Security but, guess what, those spoilt-rotten grand children of his do not like "currants" and, of course, I very magnanimously used the last of the mincemeat to make the muffins![+o(]

I should have asked him to bring them all back, except they would have been stale, of course!