Cheap car rental companies

JJ

I normally use travelsupermarket.com (booking from the UK) - a comparison site. Just booked via them with ebookers a Europcar vehicle which was a lot cheaper than going directly to Europcar.

As to cheap car rentals do not believe they exist anymore

Thanks guys!

You're right Paul - cheap car rentals don't seem to exist but thanks for the comparison site.

I hadn't thought about ridesharing so that's a great tip Sabine! Just had a look and it's a really cheap option! Thanks

You tend to get what you pay for. A friend staying with us had her 'cheap rental' car breakdown. There was considerable shuffling of responsibilities and the help she eventually got was slow in coming.

I normally book with one of the major companies (never the one partnered by the airline) and had good service the one time I had a problem.

I now avoid Europcar and any third party company that use their network for the simple reason that they can be too popular. Many a time, I have come off a plane at Toulouse and seen 20+ people queueing across the hall for the Europcar desk while the Hertz and Avis staff sit twiddling their thumbs.

[quote user="Lollie"]I have always found Hertz the cheapest in the UK, just make sure you book through the English website![/quote]

At Toulouse airport, coming off the late flight I collected a car from Hertz. The paperwork said there were a couple of small scratches, outsied in the car park there was very poor lighting so could not check. Next morning, in the light there was far more than small scratches. When I contacted them (and it can be a struggle) there was not arguement that the damage was not there when I collected the car. I now avoid Hertz.

I had a similar experience as PaulT with a Toulouse airport car, but from Avis except that the agreement did not indicate any problems, in fact one wheel arch was dented and there were scratches elsewhere. I had purchased the extra excess insurance so was not bothered but it is sharp practice on their part.