Coach from London Victoria to Toulouse

My sons are a bit skint at the moment, and so are we, so I was trying to get info on the bus to see if it is significantly cheaper than flights.  Now there is only Ryanair to our area and prices are high in the summer.

Friends have used the bus from Victoria coach station to Cahors in the past so I looked online.  I got to Eurolines which stated that Cahors is a destination but the site took me to National Express which tells me there is no such destination!

ticket search appears to work fine via http://www.eurolines.co.uk

enter routes dates ticket types click on the see tickets and prices link it then runs the search and displays results

London Victoria to Cahors 27 July £83 single ticket

Kind regards

Mike

We have some friends who don't drive and won't fly and they've used Eurolines booked from that website. It all seems to work OK if you don't mind long coach journeys (which I detest). The route to our area drops off in Poitiers at the train station and then at Niort, but for Niort it's at the peage station for the A83 near la Creche; about 10kms from the town centre. Quite how you're supposed to get into town I've no idea, and there's no shelter from rain or sun. We're usually waiting with a small crowd of other people. Worth checking where your drop-off is. Sometimes a change of coach is made at Lille or Paris.

Have a look at the Mega Bus from London to Paris, timed right and you can get tickets for a couple of £'s. Then try and get cheap flights or train in France. The Mega buses run all over the UK too and are very very cheap and  maybe not so cheerful, but they are perfectly OK.

[quote user="Chiefluvvie"]Oh crikey - just fly, cheaper and quicker! Chiefluvvie[/quote]

Got to agree on that!!  We have a couple of friends who are frightened to death of flying though. They've visited us four times, once by air, twice by coach, and once by rail. Rail is very civilised and fairly quick (TGV) once you get to London; the coach wasn't actually much cheaper but the journey from the north of England totalled 24 hours!  [:-))] However, they don't seem to mind.  They tried the plane once and the worry of the return flight spoiled the holiday! I know we've discussed it before, but statistically flying is very safe, so the worry is a bit difficult to understand (and it's only 1h20m usually).

Cheap coach travel works OK within the UK I think where there aren't many cheap flights internally and rail fares are horrendous. There was a TV documentary on recently all about coach travel, the birth of National Express etc.

It's a funny thing - fear of flying. However illogical, it's very personal and very real for those who are scared - normally of crashing, not flying I hasten to add! I genuinely feel terribly sorry for those who never manage to get over the fear - they miss out on a wonderful life experience.

As a 777 First Officer I've come across a few in my time but can normally help to talk them round. It's been a bit more difficult since our cockpit doors have been firmly bolted post 9/11 - which is a shame.

Personally I hate coaches, ferries and trains - miserable and much more dangerous than flying!

Chiefluvvie

Yes, I wasn't particularly fond of flying 40 years ago, but it was much less common then and the opportunities were few (for me). In fact I flew for the first time at age 23 to London from Manchester on business with my then boss, no choice! Then I was persuaded to go for a pleasure "flip" at Blackpool of all places in an 8-seater (I think) and it was fantastic! A bit like being scared of the big rides on the amusement parks and then finding how thrilling it is. Never looked back.

Don't BA do special short flights for these afraid of flying?

But you're right, it is impossible to understand, as with many phobias. Nowadays with people flying with their parents from a very early age for holidays abroad the fear should diminish I hope.  These friends of ours will never go to the US, or Australia (where they have relatives), which is such a shame.

A bit off-topic, apologies to the OP !