Hand luggage charge

Théière

I saw that on Breakfast this morning. The travel guy also pointed out that you can take 2 items into the cabin on a BA flight; I've never flown BA but I wonder what the difference is in the size of the overhead lockers, as on the Ryanair flights they often have to take several items and put them in hold. We flew Virgin to America a couple of years ago and the lockers seemed very deep; that was a jumbo, but also there were a lot more passengers on it. Space didn't seem to be a problem.

Perhaps the answer is to take out the lockers altogether? Mr O'L could then get a tier of bunks installed. Remember, you heard it first here! [6]

On a 737 the BA and RA lockers will be the same size.

The difference of course is that on the BA flight, a hold bag is included in the ticket, so many passengers will opt to put their bag in the hold.  On RA it is extra so if a passenger can get away with a large locker sized case, they will do so.

Funny this has just hit the news because the original link says it was a trial to be tested for one month starting 1.8.12.

I am pretty certain that I read that one US Loco already has hand luggage charges.  Sprite, Sprint or something like that IIRC.

On larger aircraft there is usually sufficient locker space for the majority of passengers to stow at least one regulation size bag and being deeper they go in end first not sideways. Second smaller bags - laptops/handbags/duty free etc. can usually be accommodated too or stored on the floor.

The only time I really saw problems was with late boarders with oversize bags but in that circumstance the crew would store bags in the coat hanging lockers near the entrance and galley. I rarely saw bags taken away and put in the hold.

You don't see it so much these days but what some people seem to regard as carry on baggage has to be seen to be believed. When flying around the Middle East it was not uncommon to see people trying to carry on bags which you could probably have packed half a dozen small children into and which would barely have fitted down the aisle let alone in an overhead bin, invariably it would be an Indian or Pakistani !

And before somebody jumps down my throat that's not racist - simply fact.

Going off at a slight tangent, did you see "The Plane Crash" on TV Thursday evening? They were expecting some of the overhead lockers to come down with the heavier contents, but they didn't in fact. More interesting to me was the "brace or not" discussion. On RA and other budget flights I've always found there isn't enough room to adopt the position as shown in the instructions; your face and neck are going to cop it! And all that wiring and other debris!

[quote user="sid"]Going off at a slight tangent, did you see "The Plane Crash" on TV Thursday evening? They were expecting some of the overhead lockers to come down with the heavier contents, but they didn't in fact. More interesting to me was the "brace or not" discussion. On RA and other budget flights I've always found there isn't enough room to adopt the position as shown in the instructions; your face and neck are going to cop it! And all that wiring and other debris! [/quote]

To be honest, I don't think that the programme revealed anything that hasn't already been known for years. As a tiny example, if they really wanted to advance aircraft safety, why not include some rearward-facing seats? To devise a strategy for the "best place to sit", you really need to know in advance what sort of accident you're going to have. Personally, I'd prefer investment to make sure that the accident doesn't happen in the first place. And then of course, by focussing on the flight itself, you divert attention from by far the most dangerous phase of any airline journey: getting to and from the airport ...

You're probably right about it having been known for years, but I didn't know. If this has all been documented before then I wonder what was the point of the experiment?

I know that flying is statistically safer that a lot of other means of transport, and your last sentence is spot-on!