Ferry Ramsgate - Boulogne 2012

loirelover

Begs the question really - why travel across Kent to travel to Boulogne? Yet another service running to Boulogne! The press release also states the ferry will take 'cars, passengers and luxury coaches' - so what about the not so luxury coaches transporting the thousands of school kids to the Battlefields?

Euroferries announce commencement of 2013 cross channel service

Euroferries have entered into an agreement with Austal, securing the newly built 102m trimaran, which will be operating the high-speed service.

The Austal 102m state of the art design and sea keeping capabilities offer unprecedented levels of passenger comfort whilst travelling at speed across the channel.

The vessel will arrive in January 2013, with the service becoming fully operational between Boulogne and Ramsgate during February 2013.

The 2013 service will comprise of 4 daily crossings and will cater for passengers, cars and luxury coaches. The vessel is capable of achieving speeds in excess of 40 knots thus enabling Euroferries to provide one of the fastest cross channel crossings available

Begs the question really - why travel across Kent to travel to Boulogne?

Mainly because it's much further on from Ramsgate to Boulogne than Dover/Calais so it might be a faster vessel but overall I reckon the trip will be longer.

Also there's no motorway to Ramsgate and the A299 isn't all that quick if I remember correctly

Begs the question really - why travel across Kent to travel to Boulogne?

Mainly because it's much further on from Ramsgate to Boulogne than Dover/Calais so it might be a faster vessel but overall I reckon the trip will be longer.

Also there's no motorway to Ramsgate and the A299 isn't all that quick if I remember correctly

According to the Euroferries web site it is only 1hr 15 mins berth to berth, so about 15 mins quicker than Dover-Calais and 45 mins quicker than Dover-Dunkerque.

I would definitely be tempted if I were heading to the Somme, or to Burgundy or even to Normandy (the three places I am most likely to go to in France). It wouldn't really be any use for when I go to Belgium or Germany, for which Dunkerque is more convenient.

It's something different though, so definitely worth a try.

As for Ramsgate, the A299 is dual carriageway in parts (though not the last bit), but then again I don't mind that because I use the A2/M2 when I go to Dover anyway so it isn't all that much different.

With its cheapest price looking to be £49 for a day return Speedferries it aint [:(]

But I suppose it never was going to be with the extra maritime distance involved.

Interesting re the coach links in the UK, this could be a viable foot passenger route.

Lets hope that they target the niche markets that are currently being exploited like vans, trailers, caravans, pets and foot passengers, the cynic in me says they wont as there is too much money to be made from a captive audience that has no real choice whichever way it turns as the other operators know only too well.

Although we sincerely hope this actually comes to fruition, Euroferries does have a bit of a history for premature enunciation - i.e. announcing a service before anything is actually agreed (See here for one example - there are  plenty of others to be found online, including an abortive attempt to acquire a totally unsuitable ferry from Canada).

At least this time round the ship being chartered actually exists, though those in the business believe it's the wrong vessel on the wrong route - shades of LD Lines and Norman Arrow.

Euroferries as a company has actually been around for a long time, at least seven years, though it has yet to start its own ferry service. It was formed by the former Hoverspeed management, and originally was meant to be a competitor to Speedferries, built and run on a more stable business footing.