New driving restrictions in France

Théière

I have just read that hands free kits of all types are now banned in france whilst driving as of Jan 2015.

Also under 25's are restricted to very low levels of alcohol.

http://www.leparisien.fr/automobile/securite-routiere/securite-routiere-taux-d-alcoolemie-abaisse-pour-les-novices-et-kit-mains-libre-interdit-26-01-2015-4480481.php#xtref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.frenchentree.com%2Fliving-in-france%2Fdriving%2Fdriving-in-france-an-introduction%2F

Oh dear!! I thought that everyone knew that if you tailgate you can save the planet! It saves gallions of go juice, that's why truckers the world over do it. I heard that it's why the Red Arrows fly as they do too. Fuel saving is a planet saver! (thinks? I wonder if I could copy right that phrase and make my fortune [8-)] )

As for the parking? That should be an interesting one to watch [:-))]

I presume that when they say "kit mains libres" they don't mean the built-in bluetooth systems in cars?

Looking at the actual press release:

http://www.youscribe.com/catalogue/tous/actualite-et-debat-de-societe/actualite-evenements/securite-routiere-26-mesures-pour-une-nouvelle-mobilisation-2538816

it only seems to mention banning the wearing of earpiece systems or headphones, presumably in relation to both phones and MP3 players ...

Tailgating is already a specific offence which attracts a fine and the loss of 3 points so it just needs the will - and the resources - to enforce it !

Everybody seems to cite it as their #1 pet hate but IMO the risk of something happening because of a driver worrying about being tailgated and losing proper concentration on their own driving as a result is probably equal or greater than the risk of being hit by the tailgater so be aware but ignore them and just get on with your own driving [;-)]

Q:  I wonder just how

many have actually been hit from behind by a tailgater, or witnessed somebody else

getting hit ?

It's zero and zero for me.

Oh, and as for phones in cars, I fully support a 100% ban on their use - by any means - whilst driving.

I brake tested 3 of them today on an 80km round trip (2 more than usual) and none of them hit me, 2 of them were VSL ambulances with patients sitting in the front seat [:-))]

I only brake test the worst offenders and very often its the VSL's and of those 90% are driven by women. It cant be a relaxing time for tha patients especially when they are brake tested.

Conservatively 1500 brake tests over 10 years and never been hit from behind nor hit with a fist, 99% of the time it gets the desired result and as I never recieve aggression back I conclude that it the tailgating is not done aggressively, in fact its very very rare that a tailgater overtakes.

If you are going to get hit from behind, and in most cases it will mean that you have braked and the car behind didnt through not paying attention, it is much better to be hit by a tailgater, the differential speed and hence impact is minimal, when I raced I often got nudged from behind (first corner after the flag a favorite) and there was never any tangible damage as there was only a fag paper between vehicles.

On the road I have been hit very very hard from behind on 2 occasions, both times I had to watch helplessly as the vehicle behind ploughed into me without braking, very very painfull and all vehicles written off each time, once was on the downhill Reigate stretch of the M25, my seat collapsed and I was hurled into the rear of my estate car, I blacked out and when I came round I was in the back of a runaway vehicle.

[quote user="Pickles"]I presume that when they say "kit mains libres" they don't mean the built-in bluetooth systems in cars?

Looking at the actual press release:

http://www.youscribe.com/catalogue/tous/actualite-et-debat-de-societe/actualite-evenements/securite-routiere-26-mesures-pour-une-nouvelle-mobilisation-2538816

it only seems to mention banning the wearing of earpiece systems or headphones, presumably in relation to both phones and MP3 players ...

[/quote]

I agree Pickles your report says it differently, the wearing of headset, earphones etc is ridiculous if that really doesn't mean all hands free kit including the parrot or vehicle installed versions if it's concentration they want to improve. Some more clarity is needed as to the spirit or the letter of the law.

Good grief! Next thing you know they will be demanding alarms in pools so you can witness a drowning [:-))] Or smoke alarms [:-))][:-))]

Where will it all end?

There's an old bloke in our village who drives around with a full big set of earphones on. He's got to be in his late 80s and I believe he's totally deaf. I wonder what the damjams will say about him??

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Good grief! Next thing you know they will be demanding alarms in pools so you can witness a drowning [:-))] Or smoke alarms [:-))][:-))]

Where will it all end?

There's an old bloke in our village who drives around with a full big set of earphones on. He's got to be in his late 80s and I believe he's totally deaf. I wonder what the damjams will say about him??

[/quote]

Have you used your breathalyser this morning?

All seems much t'do about nowt as usual big headlines in newspapers but without substance, no mention of hands free kit. Only mentions headphones and earpieces etc presumably for youngsters with music blaring into their ears and causing distraction.  I once went passed my junction on the A10 listening to stairway to heaven very loudly through the stereo and enjoying the fat bum Megane hire car I was just given. So stereo's on loud can be just as distracting.

[quote user="AnOther"]Tailgating is already a specific offence which attracts a fine and the loss of 3 points so it just needs the will - and the resources - to enforce it !

Everybody seems to cite it as their #1 pet hate but IMO the risk of something happening because of a driver worrying about being tailgated and losing proper concentration on their own driving as a result is probably equal or greater than the risk of being hit by the tailgater so be aware but ignore them and just get on with your own driving [;-)]

Q:  I wonder just how

many have actually been hit from behind by a tailgater, or witnessed somebody else

getting hit ?

It's zero and zero for me.

Oh, and as for phones in cars, I fully support a 100% ban on their use - by any means - whilst driving.

[/quote]

I got hit by a tailgater last year. On a single carriageway section of rocade, the dozy cow in front of me did an emergency stop on the carriageway to let someone out who was stopped at the end of their slip road. I stopped in plenty of time but the dis-interested truck driver who was following so close behind me I couldnt see his headlights didnt.

My scuzzy old pickup took it like a champ with no damage, but the towbar made a real mess of the plastic front valence of his shiny lorry.