UK Driving Licence Green Counterpart - New Code System?

joidevie

Does anyone know if the new code system is only relevant to hiring a car, or does it have implications for  those of us with UK licences with cars registered and used in France?

BBC article here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382

Many thanks if anyone's more in the know than me!

I would say it's going to be relevant to any situation where you have to produce your licence and the person asking for it is aware of the new rules !

That said judging be the widespread level of ignorance there is about the paper counterpart which has been in use since 1998 I imagine it might take some considerable time for the change to trickle down much beyond the hire car companies that know about and demand the counterpart even today.

It seems that there is to be no impact on those still using an old paper licence who can continue with them until circumstances oblige them to change to a photocard, i.e. a points carrying conviction, a change of address, or reaching 70.

I have no idea what the fuss is about French licences do not show offences and if you change address you still keep the old one on the document, weird

Is the UK saying their documents are crap and not recognized by any other country, surely not

What made me laugh to get this document you need a National Insurance number since when did any one give this detail for a driving test

I have never been asked for the paper part of my UK licence when hiring cars in Europe / Asia.

As the new 'code' requires the input of ( amongst other things ) your post code it could be a tad difficult for those of us who don't live in UK but still have a UK issued European driving licence.

I don't see why, you use the postcode on the licence.

Hire car companies are only concerned that you have a valid licence to drive the car, they don't care about the minutiae of your address for tax residence purposes and in that regard the new system changes nothing.

[quote user="grumpyaudeman"]

What made me laugh to get this document you need a National Insurance number since when did any one give this detail for a driving test[/quote]

It's probably so that they know what you are doing on your hols, so they can check up on how you're spending your benefit money. [:D]

I've never needed a counterpart in France either (for hiring), but was curious as to whether this new 'system' would affect those of us with a 'second car' based in France..

Agreed, the cops will probably have little idea of this, and I'm sure a UK photo licence will continue to look the part..

[quote user="grumpyaudeman"]I have no idea what the fuss is about French licences do not show offences andthe o if you change address you still keep old one on the document, weird

Is the UK saying their documents are crap and not recognized by any other country, surely not

What made me laugh to get this document you need a National Insurance number since when did any one give this detail for a driving test[/quote]

If you do change address, there is a place on the last page for "changement de domicile".  In fact, there are 3 boxes so you can change address up to 3 times?[:D]

I don't know what you'd do if you moved to a 4th address[:-))]