Travel restrictions lifted

Per Gov.UK site:

Border controls

From 15 June 2020, travellers arriving in France from the UK and wider European Area (EU, Andorra, Holy See, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino and Switzerland) are no longer required to demonstrate their travel is essential or hold an international travel certificate.

There was an article in The Guardian today mentioning the UK had not joined the new EU app and website. That service provides travellers with real-time information about coronavirus rules and the status of infections in each European country. It gives the current status of travel for other countries, which transport you can use, whether you can transit, need for quarantine, etc. https://reopen.europa.eu/en

That is the official EU web site so the information should be correct.

What conflicting information have you found?

From an EU country or from Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and Liechtenstein, may I enter or exit this country for tourism?

YES From: 15-06-2020

No compulsory quarantine for travellers from the EU, associated Schengen countries or the UK, except if the country of origin requires travellers from France to quarantine (reciprocity principle).

Voluntary quarantine for travellers coming from Spain by plane and travellers coming from the United Kingdom. Quarantine is mandatory when travelling to French overseas territories.

May I enter this country without being subject to a mandatory quarantine?

YES, WITH LIMITATION From: 19-05-2020

Third-country nationals coming from outside the EU and associated Schengen countries are subject to quarantine, even if they are asymptomatic. The quarantine is voluntary for travellers coming from Spain by plane and for travellers coming from the United Kingdom. The quarantine is mandatory when travelling to overseas territories.

Travellers showing symptoms of Covid-19 infection during border health checks should be subject to quarantine or isolation, regardless their nationality.

Thanks again Pomme.

I was getting info from friends and from the Eurotunnel site. I see the latter has now been updated and seems to indicate that all restrictions have indeed been lifted for travel to France.... for the time being.But sworn statement needed when returning to UK:

Per Eurotunnel site today:

Important Information

Following the French governement's announcement, travel restrictions are lifted between France & Europe.

Our Passenger service is still operating with a restricted number of departures for now. Before entering UK, a sworn statement needs to be completed.

https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/

A health statement still has to be produced when travelling to France. A pro forma is supplied via the above link. It calls it a "sworn" statement but looks as though it simply has to be signed by the traveller.

So people 'jure sur l'honneur' and that's it[:@]

People lie, don't the authorities realise that people lie. Well, to me it is most unsatisfactory.

Just because there seems to be an air of complacency, doesn't mean that the tenacious covid has gone away.

It seems that they were placed in government quarantine, but had special permission to travel something like 400 miles in a relative’s car to attend a family funeral.

I read that they didn’t have it when they set off, but had most likely been infected on planes or on stopovers.

It seems that someone kindly gave permission for the journey south, but obviously tighter controls need to be in place - everywhere.