And What Bird Is This?

I also have a bird question for Chris.  The other day on the ground where we feed the birds ther was one we have never seen before, about thrush size, but with a very long straight beak and a sort of long crest on the head, just as straight as the beak and, seen from profile, it looks as if the beak and the crest are in one straight line through the head.  He wasn't eating the bird food, but seemed to be sticking his beak into the ground, like for worms or something.  As the light was behind him and he was at a certain distance, I couldn't say the actual colour, probably brownish, but not a brightly coloured bird.

I've had a quick search, but can't find him, any ideas?

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

No, it's not a Hoopoe, bless you Tresco.  It's a straight beak and completeley straight crest as if it's a twig exactly the same either side of the head.

[/quote]

Is Chris right?. That beak doesn't look long to me!

I thought your bird might be a Muddy Lapwing, but there is no such bird.[:D]

LOL Basically the Hoopoe is the only bird I know, apart from The White Faced Whistling Duck (Denocygna viduata).[:)]

No, nothing like it Chris.  The crest is not like a crest and the beak is not like a beak...

It's as if, seen from a little way off, it's one straight twig going right through, looking similar each side of the head.

A few days before my husband had said he had seen a funny looking bird, then when I called him to see the one pecking outside, he said it was the same one he had seen, but neither of us had ever seen one before.

I wonder what I could google to try to find it...

Have you got a site Chris, with birds by category?

[quote user="Christine Animal"]What is meant by Dressing Down?   [/quote]

I think both Hugh and I were thinking a Lapwing has a twig like head garment, but Lapwings are very distinctively black and white (as if dressed for a black tie dinner). So if they dressed 'down' they might be duller...[:)]

Well, I can't think of anything other than a crested lark or hoopoe with its crest down.

If you go to: http://www.oiseaux.net/photos/index.html and click on fiches list nom frainçaise and then look at everything with "huppé" in its name, that's all the birds with crests.

Anyone with an interest in birds should bookmark this site, it's the best French bird site in my opinion.

Have fun, Chris

Sounds like one of the woodpecker family.Wryneck has a dark line going down the centre of his crown and back which can look like a ruff. He is now on passage from wintering in africa, prefers ants than your bird food. etc.Michael.

No, it's not a Woodpecker Michael.  I have been through all the huppés and cresteds and am very embarrassed to say that the only one I have found which looks anything like it is the Huppe Fasciée, which is Tresco's Hoopoe and, as Chris said, with it's crest down.  But it seems far more "dressed up" than I remember, I didn't notice all the white on the wings.  He does look different when eating with the crest down than on your photo Tresco.  If it was that, how clever of you to have found it first go from my description.  Are they very common?  We have never seen one before.  It does says they arrive in April.  Thanks everyone.  If we see it again I shall try to take a photo!

http://www.aves.be/dossier_photos/huppe.htm

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/h/hoopoe/index.asp

Hi Christine

Maybe I should have found a different picture, one with the 'twig' rather than the 'fan'.

I remember when ours first came, how amazing it was when it fanned out its crest. There are different types, and maybe yours is one without such visible markings?

They (a pair) seem to turn up in late spring here, just for a few days and then they're gone again. I don't know how comon they are, but I think they sometimes make it as far as south west England too.

They are very shy birds. I managed to get a good photo taken through the window, but as soon as I crept outside they were off, probably up to your place, the fickle blighters.[:)]

I watched one feeding today and became convinced that was what it was, light can play strange tricks.

They are fairly common, I'm tempted to say very common in PC but they get a bit shy as Spring progresses, I suppose thats due to actual breeding as opposed to cranking up for it, I've seen quite a few pairs and singles in the last couple of weeks.

That's sorted then, Chris