unknown bird

Hi

I saw an amazing bird last week in our garden and my husband saw it today but we have no idea what it is. We've looked in our bird book but it's not there, so I hope someone maybe able to give me an idea what it is. It was much bigger than a blackbird,  the body was beige/sand and white stripes and it had a huge plume on its head like a mohican! And it had a very long beak - much longer than a woodpecker.

Please let me now if you have any ideas so that I can do some more research.

Thanks

Lynpy

p.s. we are in the vendee if that helps.

Thanks for your replies - Yes it must be a Hoopoe!

I've just checked out several photos and if it's not one of those then it's certainly something that looks like one! Thanks very much - it would have taken me ages to go through the A-Z on the RSPB site!

I think I'll keep my camera on hand in case I see it again!

Lynpy

Not that rare, really. They apparently eat lizards.

There was a small colony near us, at the Chateau de Cromiere, in between Cussac and St Mathieu in 87, last year. Over a period of 4 days, French drivers killed 5 on the road there. What a shame. Not seen any this year yet.

Alcazar

• 4 weeks later...

Ah ha, rather interesting, maybe this is why he said it.

After the young have left the nest it often has a strong nauseating smell because the f e c e s are not removed by the parents.

Not quite dogs pooh, but...

Chrispy

It really comes to something when a word like f e c e s has to be spaced out to be accepted.

Try this Christine:

"Breeding: Hoopoes are monogamous and nest in holes in trees, walls, cliffs, termite mounds, flat ground, and crevices between rocks. Little nest material is used, and the nest cavity is often fetid. A nest site may be used for several years. The male selects the nest site and establishes territory. Eggs are produced at a rate of one per day. Clutch size is five to eight. The incubation period is 15–18 days, only the female incubates, and hatching is asynchronous. The nestling period is 25–32 days. Young start self-feeding after six days, thereafter remaining with the parents for some weeks. Hoopoes are normally single-brooded. Nestlings defend themselves by hissing, jabbing with the bill, producing an evil-smelling secretion from uropygial gland and spraying f e c e s".

Sort of says it all really,

Chrispy

It looks as if the old garde is right Chrispy :

"All nests of hoopoes seem to be evil smelling affairs. There is little or no possibility of the parents arranging for sanitation, which the majority of other birds see to most carefully; the consequence is that hardly any fresh air enters, and the atmosphere soon becomes foetid and most disagreeable. Incubation takes about twenty days as far as I can gather, and the nestlings remain in their dark cavern for at least that time, if not a month.

The probable case for the foul-smelling nests, which may be noticed when opened up in this region, is from a curious habit these birds have, in Europe, of carrying the excrement of animals to the nest to form a lining; it seems almost certain that this habit is copied by our local race, and it is chiefly that, and the general moisture of the nest below ground level, that is the cause of the unpleasant odours. I have noticed much bird-lime in any old nest that I have inspected."

Here's the site : http://www.portstjohns.com/vicfalls/sub/hoopoe/habits.htm

It looks as if the old garde is right Chrispy :

Interesting Christine! I can't say that I've ever heard this mentioned but I will make a call this evening to someone who will definitely know the answer. If that is the case, they are not doing a very good job clearing up my garden.

Chris  (I don't know if I like this Crispy, I keep thinking of bacon)

Well, you learn something new each day, it seems that the hoopoe will indeed use animal excrement, not dogs mind you, but cow dung and horse manure for example. I have never got close to a Hoopoes nest, but I have just been informed that it is not a pleasant place.

Such a pretty bird as well, but not big on hygiene and the kids don't behave too well either.

Chris