Short, fat caterpillar (?) with long legs ???

Just 'captured' (with cup and piece of paper) - a fat bodied,

long-legged wee beastie that was sprinting across the floor-tiles in

the living-room.

The body looked like a caterpillar's, was about 1 inch to 1.5 inchs in

length but was quite fat in proportion to its length. It had 14 - yes

14 - very long legs (shorter at the front and then getting longer

towards the rear) and two sets of very long antenna (one set at the

front and one set at the rear) - which were about twice the length of

its body.

Very peculiar beastie, can't find any picture in reference books; any one know what this creature might be ?

Thanks - Chessie

If it is the same thing as we get sprinting up and down the walls (sort of earwig brown in colour?) they look rather like the 'push-me pull-me' from Doctor Dolittle - you can't tell top from bottom![8-)]  I have no idea what they are, but they can't half move quickly[:-))]

Thanks everyone - amazing how helpful everyone is on this forum....

Mary - I loved the Dr Dolitle 'push me pull you' - what a perfect description - they really are like that...!!!

Chris - how impressive - proper latin name - I've now Googled and discovered that wee beastie is also known as a house centipede, useful house guest as its eats insects etc.

And my they really can move fast.  Here's a new game for the dreary winter evenings - trap two Scuttlers at one end of the living room or whatever, let them loose and see how quickly they find sanctuary !!! Even better, take bets on the winner...

Can you imagine an older scuttler having a 'senior moment' and starting to trip over its legs..............!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chessie