Big French Donkey

Frederick

Dont laugh .........I need to know the name of the breed of the big donkey the French used to cross with horses to get mules for the French army . They have long coats that  hang like dreadlocks .............  I want to find a photo  but a search of  " Big French Donkey " on Google is likely to produce some very wierd  sites !!!

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

That's what I would have suggested too Bugbear, Le Baudet du Poitou

although it's not particularly big, unless there are some other big hairy ones.

You have them all here      http://balade-en-maraispoitevin.chez-alice.fr/htm/baudet.htm

[/quote]

Christine?... Would you know if that photo was taken in St Martin lès Melle in 79 ?..... only asking as there used to be a little old chap in that village who had 2 of them in his field and as we walked passed it when we were kids, the baudets came to the fence to be fed sugar and carrots!.... I just wondered if that person's family was carrying on the breeding of these rather rare animals....

The lay out of the photo is familiar somehow.... I have somewhere a photo taken the day after my wedding (got married at home) where the whole family is in the garden of the house next door, for a big meal (another one!) and over the garden fence these 2 lovely doppy baudets looked on the noisy mad lot assembled........... sigh!!! long ago......

Ah - I thought there was something odd.  You're getting ahead of yourself again, aren't you?  Can I not cajole you into going even further back as if in a time machine to an earlier era, rather than stealing a march on tomorrow?

Do you know Normandy donkeys (or at least the ones around here) all have a cross on their backs?

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Am I posting in invisible ink? I post saying that it's a Poitou. About ten posts later Buggbear says it's a Poitou. Well spotted. Then Christine says - yes Bugbear, you're right.

What did I do to offend everybody, then? Or is it a reading problem?
[/quote]

So you did Dick, I'm terribly sorry, I missed it.

Why do you keep saying félicitations at the bottom of your posts?

[quote user="Cassis"]
Do you know Normandy donkeys (or at least the ones around here) all have a cross on their backs?
[/quote]

It's called the cross of St André and according to legend ...............'on dit que ce serait la Sainte Vierge qui lui a donné la croix qui orne son dos pour le remercier de l'avoir porté jusqu'à Bethlehem et réchauffé l'enfant Jésus ...'

Regards

Chris

PS Our Normandie donkey, Delboy, has a cross on his back, but the virgin Mary wouldn't have stood a hope in hell of getting on, or indeed, staying on his back!!