Les Grues are coming back.

Just this moment  I saw  a long skein of the cranes coming back.  I heard them first,  that trilling, warbling sort of muttering,  I searched the sky and there they were,  far-ish away but unmistakable.  Isn't it a bit early for them?  We usually get quite a lot of them coming over so I shall be watching for more.[:D]

I saw a small group of maybe 12 on monday, the morning spells of bright warm weather must be fooling them. The lizards have been out for the last few weeks and sadly lots of dead toads heading for the ponds. Heres to spring...

After the bulk of birds migrated in December we continued to see saw small groups flying WSW right through January - we saw the the last formation on Jan 25th - just after the heavy snowfalls.  Now we're already expecting  their return.  Chris pp - is this unusual?

Not really unusual if you are in the south west, from Indre down, it's a staggered migration and a lot of birds stay in the north east of France. I suppose this winter being mild meant that some stragglers arrived very late and the return seems to have started about the earliest that you could expect but it's often not much more than a brief stay and then off again. They really aren't looking for warm weather, just moving away from excessive cold and snow which covers their food sources.

Buzzards have started making their nest in my garden, all just a wee bit early.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Have had 3 fly overs today with groups of around 50.  It is great when they are flying low and swoop around trying to catch the thermals.  It didnt take them long to reach a great height.  The only downside was gun shot as they flew over, fortunately they were much too high.

[:)]

Thousands have flown overhead this afternoon over the last couple of hours.  What a magnificent site!  I had been so envious of everybody else reporting their sightings last autumn.

We are about 20k SE of Agen in Lot-et-Garonne.

Migration paths.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/migration-paths-cranes.jpg[/IMG]

Overwinter sites in France.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/Map-cranes-overwinter.jpg[/IMG]

Chris