The amphibians are on the move.

chris pp

Now is the time that the first amphibians are starting to become active and make their way to the water where they will breed, for common frogs this will have already started as early as January and Salamanders will also have been depositing their young in milder regions.

Ponds, pools and ditches are all worth a second look, especially with the aid of a torch after dark in the shallows and margins.

Chris. 

Our lizards were sunbathing on the windowsills last week but have now disappeared out of the wind and cold. However we have seen quite a few of our resident birds inspecting the birdboxes.

Never quite sure where to place them as I notice some are used each year and some not at all. . We have an old lobster pot hanging on an outside wall and in the centre pot I have a small oak barrel with half the lid removed, a favoutite with the Robin, as it is just on eyeline the grandchildren can see the orange beaks of the young .when hatched. Still hoping to get an owl in residence.

Regards.www,  ourinns.org

The last few days I've seen Salamander larvae, Palmate newts and Agile frogs, do try and get out and have a look around and let me know what you find and where.

Here's a photo that I took today of Agile frog spawn, it's much the same in appearance to Common frog spawn, always in floating clumps.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Spawn-Agile-Frog.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

Our "new" garden has a large pond, about 3m by 10m and I've heard a few plops indicating frog life. Haven't seen any frogspawn yet. The water, about half a metre below ground level, is partially covered by that bright green algae or water weed - is there a way to remove it other than getting in there with a net or rake? I don't fancy doing this as I've no idea how deep it is. I once used ? barley straw in the uk and wonder if you can get that in France. Will the algae stop the frogs from breeding? Pat.

Patf.  Whether it's a problem or not depends on what it is that you are describing and the quantities, if it's the stringy, matted stuff it's quite a good idea to rake some of it up on to the side every few weeks, left alone it will inhibit the growth of other aquatic vegetation and reduce oxygen levels. It normally results from an excess of nutrients, nitrates that leach or wash into the pond are a particular problem. However in itself doesn't present a huge problem for most amphibians, pollution is the real "killer" and the knack, as with most things, is achieving a balanced environment and habitat that suits the species naturally present.

One method that I have used is to get a lightweight, but sturdy, plastic rake head attached to a rope, throw it out into the water (keeping hold of the rope) and draw it back, but it"s heavy work.

A sack containing barley straw suspended in the water will never cause any problems, so it's probably worth a go, if there's a farmer nearby that grows barley I'm sure that they will let you have some straw.

Chris

Thanks for the advice Chris and idea for a rake on a rope.The weed is not blanket weed - I should have described it better. It's more like helxine/baby's tears which has escaped and invaded the water. Tiny round bright green "leaves." We've just bought some ducks which enjoy being on the pond so perhaps they will clear it. Pat.

I found a baby salamander two weeks ago (unfortunately i had to move some rocks around and it was under it ); it was around two inches long; would that be from this year or born last year do you know?    I did relocate him/her but not sure if it will have survived being disturbed so early in year ?

It would have most likely have been from the winter before this one (2005/2006) but it's just possible, if unlikely, depending where you are that it was deposited in October 2006 and given the mild winter it developed rapidly. I have found salamander larvae in the last couple of weeks that range from "just dropped" to almost ready to leave the water.

Moving it won't have done it any harm, they don't really hibernate as such unless it's extremely cold and will remain active at fairly low temperatures.

Chris

[IMG]http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/pads_01/IMG_2426.jpg[/IMG]

This was taken a few weeks ago about the 14th feb , the pond is now full of spawn as we have had about 40frogs in the pond at one, we also have newts and toads which one is the one that lays there egs in a row instead of a big blob?

Do you have a picture of salamanda lava chris ?

Is your photo taken in the UK, Pads?

Common frogs, Moor frogs and Agile frogs lay their spawn in large clumps (no agile frogs in the UK, maybe some intoduced moor frogs).

Long strands would usually be either Common toads, Natterjack toads or Green toads (no green toads in the UK and only localised areas mainly in Wales for natterjack toads).

This is a photo of a salamnder larvae, you can see the little "breathing branches" on the rear of its head and the clear light mark where the legs join the body.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/salamander-larvae.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

This was taken in cornwall , at the moment we have frogs spawn and the long rows of spawn , We also have 2 different types of toads in the garden, the one we see a lot of is the common brown toad, the other i dont know is a lot darker brown and very warty, they always look like they are in a bad mood and we only find them when lifting big stones or other things that have been laid in the garden or a long time. the happier looking brown toads we see quite often in the green house and in the nature wood pile we have created by the pond and down the sides of the flower beds. How can I tell the difference between the newt and frog spawn? 

Will I find salamander in the lakes of the Montage Noir or is it to cold there? What do their eggs look like ?     

It's just possible, Pads, that you have midwife toads, distribution "Bedfordshire, Yorkshire, Northamptonshire, Hampshire, Devon and South-West London."  but this may not be up to date or definitive. It's easy to tell by looking at their eyes, midwife toads have vertical oval pupils, common toads have horizontal oval pupils, midwife toads are small, usually hard to find but easily heard at night - pooop, pooop. not a croak, oh, and no spawn, dad carries the eggs around until they are ready to hatch.

Newts lay their eggs singly, usually dotted around but sometimes close together, they don't really look anything like frog or toad spawn, again usually, but not always, they are stuck to aquatic plant leaves.

There will definitely be Salamanders in Montage Noir providing that there are trees or dense bushes near to water, they tolerate very cold conditions, but they don't really lay eggs, well they do lay eggs but the larvae hatch immediately as they are deposited in the water, so they are effectively live bearing.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of photos from last night.

Marbled newt, male.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/Marbled-newt-m.jpg[/IMG]

Well developed Salamander larva.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/Larv-salamander.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

Can the amphibians cope with moving water at all or must is by still (pond) ? I ask only as I seem to have q reasonable number of frogs around but have a river rather than ponds. The river does open out to some slower moving sections but still moving and little in those stiller parts to attach anything to.

Ian

Moving rivers, Ian, are certainly used by some amphibians. Slow moving sections which are often found on bends away from the current, shallow mud flats and the marshy areas that flood will frequently be used by some species, marsh frogs in particular.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/Marsh-frog.jpg[/IMG]

You really do need to get some photos.[:)]

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

We were driving along the road when my OH saw 'something' on the road, we turned around and went back and it was a huge salamander, about 6-7cm long and bright yellow and black, a beautiful creture but it wouldn't move off the road.  I didn't really know for sure what it was so didn't really want to pick it up but also could not bear the thought of it being run over.  I went back to the car found and envelope and carefully lifted it up and put it back on the verge (which was the edge of the woods).  I resume it was so slow as it was cold??  Fantastic to see all the same!

Panda

• 2 months later...

Hello Chris (hope you see this)

Since coming back from france in May I have spotted a long (maybe 8ish inchs) dark blue with white spots down the side Lizard in my garden in Cornwall. I have seen it 3 times now sunning himself on the decking, but I cant get to close as it is off like a bullet into the bushes. Do you think it is posible that it may be a stowaway? as my neighbours have a place in Portagal and next to them they have a place in Malta plus us in France if so will it live ok here ? Or could it possible be a lizard that I dont know about that is a resident here ?

If it is a stowaway is there anything i can do to help it?

Many Thanks  

Strange one, Pads, I can only assume it's as you say, either a stowaway or a pet lizard that has either been released or escaped, can't really comment much more without a photo. I doubt that you will like this, but it really shouldn't be there, but if you could capture it you could keep it in vivarium after we have identified it, this would be the ideal situation, probably for the lizard as well.

Stay well, Chris