Chirruping

Hi,

Sorry if this has appeared on a post before, I can't see it.  I just wondered if you knew what the constant 'chirruping' sound is that I can hear here in South West France?  I saw a reference on Chris's website which made me think it might be a stag beetle?  I can only describe it as a chirrup with intermittent breaks before it starts up again.

Many thanks,

Mel

"I can only describe it as a chirrup with intermittent breaks before it starts up again"

When you hear them individually the above description fits the bill perfectly for the cicada (cigale).  Grillons just give a continuous chirrup where-as the cicada does a few 'warm-up' chirrups first. Difficult to hear on the clip on the same website as above because it is en-mass.  Chris?

• 9 months later...
We get a sound like you describe. It has been noticable since mid April. It's not Cicadas as the weather is not warm enough. We have noticed the noise in the daytime also although not as loud as at night. We are in north 16, are you near us? Have you had the same noise this year? MOH thinks it may be frogs or toads as we have water nearby., I think it's more likely to be birds - possibly chicks.