Dripping tree

We were walking beside a river on Saturday afternoon and saw and felt drops falling from some trees. It hadn't been raining, and it had been sunny all morning, so it wasn't dew which had gathered. It didn't seem to be sticky or "sappy". Unfortunately we didn't have a camera with us so I can't show you a picture, but does anyone have any idea what these trees could be?

Thanks

FairyNuff [8-)]

No, they definitely weren't lime trees, the stuff wasn't sticky. We used to have one in the garden before we moved. The trees have very sparse foliage at the moment, and didn't look like "weeping" trees in shape (Nell's post). We'll probably be bake in the area again soon (there's a ginguette there, good for lunch), I'll try and remember the camera!

FairyNuff [:)]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

An update -we were back to the same place yesterday, when it was about 30 degrees in the shade [8-|], and the dripping trees do seem to be willows, both weeping and upright. It really is quite bizarre standing under the tree with it dripping on your bare shoulders. The earth beneath the tree was positively soggy compared to the rest of the field. I don't know whether the weeping willows you see in gardens drip or not, these particular trees are close to a river, perhaps that's relevant?

Thanks for everyone's input

FairyNuff [:)]

I wondered what this thread was about and had my bread and salt ready but oh the disappointment [:D][:D][:D]

Seriously though I think virtually all trees drip to some extent or another don't they ?

Pines must be amongst the worst and what horrible tenaciously sticky stuff their sap is too !

[quote user="ErnieY"]I wondered what this thread was about and had my bread and salt ready but oh the disappointment [:D][:D][:D]

Seriously though I think virtually all trees drip to some extent or another don't they ?

Pines must be amongst the worst and what horrible tenaciously sticky stuff their sap is too !

[/quote]

In fact Ernie the stuff that drips off willows is very watery, not sticky at all, and not a bit like the honeydew from aphids on lime trees.

FairyNuff