Caterpillar 1

Dog

If you're on dial-up, then it would be useful to learn how to resize photos. Do you have a paint program of some sort? (The Gimp is free). I shrunk yours to 500 x 375 and 80% compression, and it came out at 28k, about a tenth of your file size, and it took less than a minute to do.

But that's no help with the caterpillar!

Cheers - it certainly looks similar though in the pic shown the body of the caterpillar looks yellow.

The critter has been munching  its way through a tree in the garden over the last week, it scythes through leaves real quick.

Haven't seen it for a day or too.

[quote user="Shivy"]

what lovely photos...have you been creeping through the shrubbery searching for caterpillers with a Sherlock Holmes style magnifying glass, or do you just have loads of them in your garden?

[/quote]

I dunno you just tune into insects - when you are interested in them - it's like mushrooming - you look hard at first and then you get to know the habitat and then they just jump out at you.

[quote user="chris pp"]

You lot make me work sometimes...[:D]

Cat.1. .Aglia tau

Cat 2. As stated in the previous post.

Cat 3. Euproctis similis

Chris

[/quote]

Thanks Chris how are you identifying these critters?

I have 4 books and have trouble.

I found an Oak Beetle head ( just the head and pincers unfortunately) it was 30mm across it must have been a big beetle.

My OH found this little perisher on a jasmin plant in the garden this morning. She thought that she was seeing things.

It is a deaths head hawk moth catterpillar, 4 inches long!

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/DeathsheadHawkmoth1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Deathsheadhawkmoth3.jpg[/IMG]

Nothing to be frightened of from these little, or not so little perishers Carmelle and the moths that they grow into are beautiful too!

Some lovely photos there too Dog. Some of them really are strange looking machines aren't they?

I agree that if you go around looking but not seeing then you are missing a heck of a lot of wonderfull things and down here there are loads of things that I've never seen before. Just to walk across the garrigue and smell the tyme, rosemary and wild lavender is a chance not to be missed. Shame about the tick check after though?[:D]

I like photographing bugs and caterpillars as they are on the whole not too fast, butterflies and birds are just too quick.

Moths aren't too bad and every summer we set up a moth trap in the garden with a UV bulb I could bore you with lots of pics of them.

Micro moths are my favourites only 9mm long but with antennae up to 45mm long it is hilarious watching them fly. The Antennae bounce around and the males are quite territorial and attack each other it a funny sight. The feed on brambles and lay eggs on them too - so check out your local bramble patch.

A game I play on a walk is to pick a tree trunk, a patch of herbiage, a wall or the edge of a pond and you may not proceed until you have found say 10 different insects. It takes some doing sometimes but it is possible.

My fav insect is the mole cricket - now there is a fearsome creature especially close up.

That's where I found my first one and it was enormous. I found a smaller one and placed him in a plant pot with a flower and he lived in a burrow there for some time.

They have some weird habits they make a hole and sing like a bird to entice the female into the cave - but she will only enter if it is damp!!

Whatever turns you on...

[quote user="chris pp"]

Well to be frank, (and I'm sorry to have to say this in public), you didn't do very well in your last practical "Mending broken butterfly wings". I'm just not sure that you are cut out for it.[8-)]

Chris

[/quote]

It would probably be illegal these days but back in the sixties on two separate occasions I had pet bats. We had found them and they had badly broken wings, my father tried to set them to no avail and so not knowing what else to do amputated the wing.

They both lived for quite some time and I had to catch flies to feed them.