Moving out!

Philouis

We have just sold our house to Mr X and with the completion date on the 14th June. We shall be moving out on the 5th and house will be empty. The new buyer wishes to have the keys to gain entry to the house before the final signing to move some of some of his belongings in. Is this advisable or might this open any legal problems?

[quote user="Philouis"]We have just sold our house to Mr X and with the completion date on the 14th June. We shall be moving out on the 5th and house will be empty. The new buyer wishes to have the keys to gain entry to the house before the final signing to move some of some of his belongings in. Is this advisable or might this open any legal problems?[/quote]

This is assuming that this type of thing is the same in France as the UK...

Never ever allow this type of event to occur. All visits prior to the final act should be accompanied, the buyer should never be given keys. Keys are exchanged when monies have been exchanged.

There could be serious legal implications / squatters rights sort of things.

Paul

[quote user="Philouis"]We have just sold our house to Mr X and with the completion date on the 14th June. We shall be moving out on the 5th and house will be empty. The new buyer wishes to have the keys to gain entry to the house before the final signing to move some of some of his belongings in. Is this advisable or might this open any legal problems?[/quote]

NO NO NO

Not a thing

Not the out-houses

If there  was damage to his goods he could claim off your insurance

No legal, no keys

It is your house till you get his money.

NO NO NO

The person who sold us this house let us put stuff in the barn before completion. But it was written into the C de V that he took no responsibility for any damage that might happen to it. Insurance is the main issue, as others have said.

It's probably a very innocent request but there are legal implications and, if he has the keys before completion, he could possibly delay completion saying that there is a problem with the house, etc.  I wouldn't be inclined to give him the keys but, if he has a storage problem, you could offer to open up the house and watch him put some stuff in, and then keep the keys until completion.  That way, you still keep control of the property but he can get some of his stuff in.  I don't think there are legal problems with this and I appreciate you're probably reluctant to cause any bad feelings.  Just tell him that your solicitor says "no" but that you're happy to open up the house for an hour or so where he can store some stuff until completion.

[quote user="nectarine"]It's probably a very innocent request but there are legal implications and, if he has the keys before completion, he could possibly delay completion saying that there is a problem with the house, etc.  I wouldn't be inclined to give him the keys but, if he has a storage problem, you could offer to open up the house and watch him put some stuff in, and then keep the keys until completion.  That way, you still keep control of the property but he can get some of his stuff in.  I don't think there are legal problems with this and I appreciate you're probably reluctant to cause any bad feelings.  Just tell him that your solicitor says "no" but that you're happy to open up the house for an hour or so where he can store some stuff until completion.[/quote]

And if the house burns down,or some fly be night breaks in in the few days it not got people living in,

Can you tell me your thoughts on the out-come

Thank you all for your advice and I have acted on it! I have told Mr X that he can put some of his effects in our garage, but first he must sign a disclaimer for any loss or damage whilst they are therein and no keys will be given to him. If in the interim he requires access to his goods, he must be accompanied by an agent from the Immo who is acting for him! I am positive that he is a genuine person, but it pays to be very careful. Thank you all once again!