Nightingales

These birds are singing their hearts out at the moment, night after night and it is wonderful. They also sing during the day, but their song seems less varied and more shrill. Am I right, is this because they have competition during the day and therefore sing louder and with less variety?

There used to be a guy called Chrispp who posted here and the other place, but he seems to have disappeared. He would know, I think.

Anyone else got an idea svp?

I don't know,   but what I have noticed (and this comes from years of trying to record their sound) is that a bit of competition is good.

There's one that lives in a thicket near where we have our bonfire.    When I take a load up in the bennette I can hear it singing above the noise of the (diesel) tractor,   but normally when I turn off the engine the singing ceases,  within a minute.    So I have actually tried (with some success) turning the tractor on and off and recording the nightingale before he realises the sound has gone again.

What I want to try is to use one of my existing recordings and play it through a loudspeaker,   and then record the response.    The main problem is getting a power supply up there,  I'm working on it.

Often though they seem to sing near water,   and if you've ever tried recording near flowing water you nearly always end up with something that sounds like a shipwreck in a hurricane,  with an insignificant twittering of the nightingale in the background.    Otherwise known as the "Cocktail Effect" in recording circles.

I'm always amazed at how specific the season of singing is.   It's been a little earlier this year but normally our lot start (with a gentle throat clearing) on about April 17th,  and we hear the last one on June 20th.   Year after year.

The best/noisiest, most memorable ones we ever heard were in a campsite on the lake near Caspe in central Spain, in July or August. No background noise at all, they were competing for maybe half a km around, started at dusk and kept it up as long as we were awake, probably much longer.

Sitting there doing my spanish TMA, when a small bird started singing next to me in the bush. I tried to find it, and eventually saw it. Small, brown, a bit like a cross between a wren and a sparrow. But the song was amazing - I got up and was only about two foot away, watching it sing - discovered tonight on the web it was the bird I have been looking for - the nightingale. Superb! x