Who dunnit?

Yesterday morning found two dead field mice outside the kitchen window. Bodies intact but heads missing. Today, in the same place, found small rabbit with head torn off, both ears and one front leg in a heap and guts/lungs pulled out through the neck. Who dunnit?

No foxes seen around here and neighbour's hunting dogs under lock and key. Could a cat have done this as all that was left of the head was the lower jaw. The bodies in both cases were otherwise intact. Could it be a raptor of some sort?........JR

It is strange that whatever did this left all the good meat behind and only took the heads. Obviously prefers brains to raw steak!

Also the bodies shown no other signs of damage at all, i.e. no bites or claw/talon marks. No domestic cats around here apart from our three house cats who don't go out other than into their enclosed run in the garden.

Have seen one or two large feral cats from time to time but you would think that they would be hungry and something strong enough to tear the head off a rabbit would be able to take the whole corpse away to be eaten in some bush or other.....JR

[quote user="Catalpa"]I think the perpetrator is likely furry and purry and is trying to soften you up with foodie gifts before appearing on your doorstep, with a small overnight case, asking for a room on a long-term basis. [:D]
[/quote]Yup, me too.

Sounds very much like cat activity - especially given the placement of the trophies.  Apparently, cats teach their young how to hunt by example and the theory is that by catching stuff and leaving we humans all the tasty bits, that eventually we'll get the hang of it ourselves and figure out that these things are worth eating and get our own.[:D]  We get the same sort of thing every morning - rats, mice, moles, the lot.  No rabbits round here but we did get a lot in the UK (or rather, our dogs did - they tended to nosh what the cats brought before we ever got the chance.[:)][+o(])

Strangely enough one of our three house cats did that just over a year ago. Came tapping at the window one cold night and so we took her in and adopted her after posters put about did not produce an owner.

She did not however bring her offering or lunch with her at the time. We had just lost our last cat that came over with us from the UK to old age and I guess she knew we would be a soft touch.

She had a collar on and is a lovely creature and one wonders why she had been thrown out from her home. Female cats don't roam that far and we posted over a wide area.............JR

PS If you would like our rabbits we have masses running about our field this year which is fine except they want to eat my veggies little swine! They also hold dances on my solar pipes and I have to keep washing the mud off!

[quote user="Catalpa"]I think the perpetrator is likely furry and purry and is trying to soften you up with foodie gifts before appearing on your doorstep, with a small overnight case, asking for a room on a long-term basis. [:D]
[/quote]

I assume the small overnight case refers to the nether regions being packed out with 4-5 unborn kittens!![:D]

Sadly that is too often the case. Misty had the op once we decided we would not find the owner as were our two boy kittens, Kulani and Darty or as I call them the white jobs, adopted from the rescue centre Chat Libre du Marais. You have to sign a contract saying that this will be done with provision of evidence afterwards which is to my mind a sensible thing to do as there are too many unloved pussies out there!...........JR

http://lechatlibredumarais.creation-website.com/ and this looks like their mum. http://lechatlibredumarais.creation-website.com/49090/nous-avons-besoin-de-vous-.htm