Selling a house without an immobilier

Mark

I put some 'A vendre' signs up on the roadside the other day, outside a house we're selling.  To my astonishment, I've already had two phone calls from interested parties, one of whom is coming for a viewing tomorrow.  I will tell them that the price is nett so that I get that price and the buyer pays that price plus the notaire's fees.  I was merely copying what seems to be the standard practice of the immos on that front - is it reasonable to assume that the prospective buyer will expect the price quoted to be exclusive of notaire's fees?  Do we split the fees 50/50?

Also, I assume it's my responsibility to contact the notaire and set the wheels in motion with regard to him drawing up the compromis and, ultimately, the acte?  Does anyone know if there's a template letter on-line somewhere for sending to the notaire in the first instance?

Is there anything more to do? 

Thanks everyone [:)]

[quote user="Mark"]

I put some 'A vendre' signs up on the roadside the other day, outside a house we're selling.  To my astonishment, I've already had two phone calls from interested parties, one of whom is coming for a viewing tomorrow.  I will tell them that the price is nett so that I get that price and the buyer pays that price plus the notaire's fees.  I was merely copying what seems to be the standard practice of the immos on that front - is it reasonable to assume that the prospective buyer will expect the price quoted to be exclusive of notaire's fees?  Do we split the fees 50/50?

Also, I assume it's my responsibility to contact the notaire and set the wheels in motion with regard to him drawing up the compromis and, ultimately, the acte?  Does anyone know if there's a template letter on-line somewhere for sending to the notaire in the first instance?

Is there anything more to do? 

Thanks everyone [:)]

[/quote]

Prices are always quoted without Notaire's fees.

It is the buyer's responsibilty to pay these.

I also believe that the buyer chooses the Notaire, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Be aware that there are several sorts of 'compromis' which bind the two parties in slightly different ways.

I recently sold privately and, like you, suddenly realised that I didn't quite know what to do next.   I had given my buyer a price, that would be net to me, and advised them that they were responsible for the notaire's fees which would be an additional expense.  Then I went to the notaire who had dealt with my purchase of that house, although it had been several years earlier, reckoning that he would still have the papers or, at the very least, wouldn't find any fault with any of the previous paperwork since he had done it all!  I didn't write to him, just made an appointment and went to see him reckoning that it would speed up the process.  My French is OK but, to make matters safer, I took a French neighbour to act as a translator in case there were any difficulties buit there weren't.  The notaire just asked me for the Acte de Vente showing my title and asked me for the energy/lead/asbestos survey.  I hadn't had one done, as I had bought the house long beforehand, so I asked the notaire for his recommendation and he gave me a name and phone number of someone who did this work (I got the survey done and it was sent straight to the notaire).  I also took the original bills for the Taxes d'Hab and Taxes Fonciere as a 'just in case' and he did take copies of these.  Then it was just a case of the notaire corresponding with us both and sorting out the compromis de vente and all the paperwork.

Anyway, Mark, feel free to pm me if there's any specifics you want to know but I would recommend just going to see your notaire with every single piece of paper you can find and letting him take it from there.

The buyer and seller can have different notaires.  You find yours and if the buyer is happy to use them, fine.  If they wish to appoint another then they may.  The fees (buyer pays) are set by law and will cost the same whatever.  For the benefit of the buyer you can also work out what the fees will be via the notaires de france website, or simply be asking the notaire.  We have bought and sold houses privately, I have found the process straightforward and would always try selling privately before resorting to an agent. 

Our experience reflects that of Necatrine when we sold ours privately.   I am sure most people will know but I cannot remember which of the taxes the buyer is obliged to pay a relative rate back to you after you have paid the whole years worth.  Our buyer was very slow in coming forward on this in spite of being told  by the notaire at the time of the sale conclusion and after several reminders from us.  As a result, our notaire sent him  a letter reminding him of his obligation at no charge to us and this did the trick.   Brilliant service.

I would also agree that it was easier going back to the notaire that we bought from especially after a prospective immoblier suggested we may not own our roof terrace or bathroom that were in an arch over the street.   The notaire found it highly amusing and said that he had sold the house a couple of times and knew that the arch had been a part of that property for hundreds of years.

• 3 weeks later...

Nectarine,

I too just sold my house and in spite of having 5 Immobiliers showing it on their websites (and doing nothing else!!) I managed to sell it myself with a little advert.  I was willing to spend about £70 for a web advert to (unlike imobiliers).

My only worry was the Compris which I thoght the Immobilier drewup....

Your information has been hugely useful and although not intended for me.... Many thanks anyway.

Rich