Everyday English words in everyday French

SaligoBay

"Normann, what is the english way, I'm from the north and there is a very pronounced 'uh' sound when I say just. In fact the 'j' is quite pronounced too. Where as I have friends from the south where it sounds like jast. "

I suppose you are talking to me ?

To me, the english way is to pronounce the "j" as "dj", a bit like "djast". The way you pronounce it in english basically.

The french way is when you say "juste", with a french "u" sound and no "dj" sound. It is not easy to explain

I found it interesting that you have never heard it before. I should maybe add that it is only used in colloquial oral french

Well, never mind, that was just my little contribution anyway

French Kat in England

Kat, I wouldn't say djast. Not at all, ever. I sound my u's in a very 'u' way, being from the NE of England. I sound the 'u's' in this way in just and butter and up and just about anything else I can think of, even in umbrella.

I use the word 'just' in french, just as you have, only I really try to give it that sound as the 'u' in 'vu' has. It isn't an easy sound for me to do.

It is not easy to talk about sounds in writing, is it ? It is possible that the "djast" I am thinking of is different from what you think I mean (does that make sense ? lol ), just because I am thinking in french and you in english.

So to try and see if I understood right, do you mean that you don't say "just" like in the "queen's english", but you have a different way of saying it and the "u" sounds more like "you" when you say it ? Fascinating

Maybe I should try and explain again what I meant :

There is in french the word "juste" that is used to say "tight" (as in "cette robe est un peu juste"), or "short" (2h pour y aller, c'est un peu juste) or "nearly, just in time" ("j'ai attrapé le train, mais c'etait juste" which I would translate by "I nearly missed the train" or "I caught it just in time"...).

Well, "juste" with that meaning, in coloquial oral french, is sometimes pronounced "djast" (or a bad attempt at copying english if you want ) instead of the french way. It is, I suppose, a way of sounding a bit "cool"

Well enough of that nonsense, I am doing my own head in now

French Kat in England

Thanks Dick. I know that phonetical alphabet because I have used it at university when I was studying english. I didn't use it because almost noone knows it And also, it doesn't work to describe a french sound anyway.

"LOL My accent is firmly from the NE. I think this is so funny, we don't even say 'you' as perhaps you would imagine either."

Exactly

Anyway, I thought of other words we use in french : Le racket (as in racketing at school) and le ticket (which is so commonly used that people forget that it is a english word (or is it ? )

French Kat in England

Robert says that "ticket" has been with you since 1727, it is indeed English in origin.