What does this mean and how is it spelt correctly!

mmaddock

I've heard this used quite a bit here and there.  Today my neighbour used it, but I couldn't quite make out exactly what he meant even though I understood the rest of what he was on about...

..it sounds like (in English phonetics) "trent kill" or maybe if I was speaking in French it would be like I was asking for thirty kilo's of something!

Any help appreciated...I'm determined to find out as I'm finally fed up hearing it and not understanding what it means!

Cheers,

Matt

You may well be right now I think back on my conversation today, perhaps I've been hung up on thinking it was two words and some sort of French 'saying', so that's how my brain has processed it.  I'll wait for it to come up again and see it it makes sense!

Cheers,

Matt

The french use this word a lot not just when referring to something peaceful and tranquil but also when they want to say you'll be safe or better off.

For example - "Buy that product and you'll be okay/safe/better off/ doing the right thing."

"Tu seras / Vous serez tranquil"

Hope that explains it.[:)]

I 'heard it' as Christine did.

If you live in the countryside and it's just a general 'how are you getting on/liking it here?' (where you live)conversation, I suspect they are trying to suss out whether you are enjoying it? (the peace).

It was something I was asked about a lot - with people making general 'what do you think of it here' gestures.

Now I understand more French, Twinkles version works too, but I wouldn't have understood it in the contexts she means three years ago.

Thanks for the replies, "tranquil" makes the most sense and sounds right too - in particular in relation to what I was talking to my neighbour about yesterday - he was saying that the soil was too wet to do anything with [plant veggies, dig over etc.] at the moment - Christine was unwittingly pretty close to the mark I think!

Matt