Va: can I use this ?

Pads

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its because est -ce-que dosnt mean any thing so for a learner like me it would be confusing, trying to translate that, although I have just started to use it, I dont like it because it dosnt translate well, but I can see my next lot of homework is going to make me use it so I may be back to you later !!![:)] 

Sorry then Pads. I never meant to cause any confusion. The reason I like using it is that I don't have to think about reversing the word order or insert any "t" between vowels.

I just think of it as its literal translation... Is it that...

Anyway, hope the lessons are going well.

I agree that Est-ce que is easier, because there's no fiddly little t and  no syntax changes..

Claudine va a Douvres

Est-ce que Claudine va a Douvres?

Really easy.   If you find it hard to think of a direct translation then "do you think" can work

As in English:  Claudine is going to Dover.  As a question "Do you think Claudine is going to Dover?" - the order of the words doesn't change, as per the French version.  Whereas you would say "Is Claudine going to Dover?" and the order changes, as in French.

Mais pourquoi Claudine va à Douvres demain ?  Elle est folle ou quoi ?!

When it's complicated to ask a question in French Pads, knowing how to turn it around, just stick "est-ce que" in front, the French do it all the time.  I have always found est-ce que complicated to write but not to say.

Est-ce que tu as compris Pads ?  Or to be even simpler, just use the present tense sounding like a question with a question mark.

Tu as compris Pads ?  Or even, T'as compris Pads ?

This is OK when talking, but not if you are doing a grammar lesson ! 

Alors, Claudine va à Douvres demain finalement ?!   [:P]

Edit : Sorry, c'est Claudette qui va à Douvres.  But where has Cooperlola gone, am I mad or wasn't there a post from her just before.  [8-)]

Reedit.  The posts are back.  [6]  And it's bien Cooperlola qui a envoyé Claudine à Douvres.

I think I'll go and lie down !  [:-))]

Possibly a bit old-fashioned now, but in years gone bye I was taught that it was politer to use "Est-ce que...?" when addressing someone you didn't know rather than turning a statement into a question by inflection.  Unfortunately I am more than a bit old-fashioned now!

Any views please, Clair?

[quote user="Weegie"]Possibly a bit old-fashioned now, but in years gone bye I was taught that it was politer to use "Est-ce que...?" when addressing someone you didn't know rather than turning a statement into a question by inflection.  Unfortunately I am more than a bit old-fashioned now!

Any views please, Clair?

[/quote]

A bit like 'je vous remercie' is much more polite than 'merci'.. - laziness and abbreviation - creeps into all languages I suppose.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]how Pads are Hello you?

Sorry - couldn't resist[:P]

[/quote]

Oh this thread it should be  Bonjour !!![:P] pads ca va ?

Im fine thanks twinks and you ? Very busy trying to work out this lanuage bussiness, it very confusing for an old lady like me, why is it that a few hours homework takes me all week, Im back again tomorrow and still have half a page of questions and I have worked on it all week!![:(] still I must amit I have come on loads since having a teacher. Out there again on monday for a bit of practise and cheese shopping. Chuck some sun my way will ya ........[:)]      

The form of the question is correct, Pads, but there are some errors in your sentence.

For instance, you are talking about one person (il) so have another look at the form of the verb which you have used.  Also, at the spelling of your translation of "American films" - and don't forget about the relationship between nouns and adjectives.

But you have the principal perfectly.[:)]

[quote user="Patf"]You could just say "ça va !"  which is a reply to "how are you?" (I think the circonflex is right - just got a new keyboard.)  Nice and simple.[/quote]

Hope you don't think I'm nitpicking but, you don't mean the circonflex, you mean the cédille!  But, I understood you anyway [:D]