Television in French - while in the UK

phylisbide

I am sure that a year or so ago there was a Sky Channel with The News in French - but having spent an hour scrolling through the listing cannot find it. Has anyone any idea where I could watch the News in French while I am in the UK - it is an easy way of getting into the swing of speaking French prior to a trip  - because the pictures help with the context - any ideas would be helpful. Phylis

Top green oval button 'services' - Then  4 System Set Up - Then 3 Langauges ( use the right arrow till French) - Then scrow down and keep setting.  Channel 509 Euro News will now be in French ( NB large chnunks like the Meteo and No Comment have no commentary)

Alternatively if you have space and ancan  mount a second dish aimed at notional 5 dgrees West a 34 Euro kit from Brico Depot plus the right brackets will get you the five main French channels plus TMC ( Monte Carlo)

You should be able to get EuroNews on Sky channel 509.

To receive it in French, you need to change the language (Services button on the remote, then System Setup/Language & Subtitles/Favourite Language).

The other channels  will not be affected, as they are not available in French.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Top green oval button 'services' - Then  4 System Set Up - Then 3 Langauges ( use the right arrow till French) - Then scrow down and keep setting.  Channel 509 Euro News will now be in French ( NB large chnunks like the Meteo and No Comment have no commentary)

[/quote]

Strangely, that doesn't work with France 24.

French language channel TV5 used to be on Sky 805, I think, but can now be found on 799. You need a Sky subscription to watch it.

You may find this page useful: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/french/news/tv.shtml

Hi Phylis

Sky Channel 799 is TV5. The News is on at 7.30p.m. every weeknight for half an hour- long enough to concentrate! It is quite a good channel because on some programmes it gives subtitles in French - the only downside of that is that one reads the titles instead of listening. I think it is mainly a Swiss channel but they do have quite a variety of programmes.

TV5 - or TV5 Monde as it is known - is French. It is called TV5 because it was originally formed as a joint venture by five French-language public broadcasting networks, and, contrary to popular belief, what you see on Sky is not the same thing as the TV5 you get on a TV in France.

There are several editions, each aimed at various parts of the world - Britain gets the 'rest of Europe' one, the francophone countries in Europe - France, Belgium and Switzerland - have a different set of programmes. Others go to Africa, Middle East, Asia, USA and Latin America. All these are produced from France. Canada has its own edition, produced in Montreal.

Thank you for all of your replies: very comprehensive. I will look at the remote doofer this evening  and will change the language setting - (didn't think about that). I have also looked at French news 24 and this has been in English every time I have checked - but maybe that is just that the language setting needs changing too.

Phylis

hi all

I like to watch TV5 Monde on sky as it helps me to learn the language and has some very funny quiz shows.  I always listen to french Radio on the internet when I get the chance as well  'NOSTALGIE' and I have listened to it long enough to be able to understand some of the adverts now[:D]

J