And they lived happily ever after?

Monika

One of my favourite things is, when I go for "boring" walks alone, to translate fairly tales into French (ready for when my neighbour's little boy is old enough to listen to them!!) I know, I get a few funny looks, because I talk to myself!!

What is a fairy tale in French? The dictionary says: un Conte de fee, but is there another name?

I know how to start: "Il etait une fois", but then how do you end it (and they lived happily ever after). At the moment I am translating "Haensel and Gretel",  perhaps somebody would know what the witch says when they eat from the house, I only know the German: "Knusper knusper, knaeuschen, wer knuspert an meinem Haeuschen", I neither know the English nor the French (and would be interested in both).Thank you for your help!

Un conte de fées commence souvent par "Il était une fois" et fini souvent par "ils vécurent heureux et eurent beaucoup d'enfants".

Translation :

A fairy tale often starts with "Once upon a time" and often finishs with "they lived happily and had many children".

My son's father used to change it when he read stories to our son, he said " ils vécurent heureux , et eurent pas beaucoup d enfants !" ( with a smile !)

Nevertheless, in our case it became, " ils furent malheureux et eurent pas beaucoup d enfants!" [blink][:)] 

( anyway, this child is perfect, like his mum , so why make another one ?? " [:D][:D][:)][:D][:P] )