Aller in the future

Pads

In the same way as we use Avoir and Etre in the past, is Aller used in any of the future tenses..... Sorry to ask but I have very vivid dreams of my lessons and confuse them with the real ones some times, and I cant remenber if this is some thing we really talked about last week or if it was in one of my dreams, im desperatly hunting through my notes from last week and can find no mention of this so im hoping its a dream, I have also checked through my verb book and cant see one that starts using Aller.

If true which tense is it ?

Many thanks [:)]   

It can be used to speak about the immediate future, as in English.  You use the present tense of aller and the infinitive of the verb that follows...

I'm going to do something... (you can substitute the word something for another verb, run. eat, sing etc)

Je vais faire quelque chose   (you can substitute the words quelque chose for another verb, courir. manger, chanter etc).

Thanks Cat , so would it only be used in front of faire ?

To go .. to do ... _ _ _ _ .....

He she it form of Aller , then full verbs after that ?

Sorry wooley brain this morning after some alwful dreams last night [:(]

Many thanks  

Je vais manger (I'm going to eat)  Je vais me laver (I'm going to wash)...  It can be used with most "doing" or "action" verbs.  Nous allons manger (we are going to eat)...  etc.

Sorry, I edited that as I'd just made it more complicated and used the future form for "nous"  (Blimey, like you need me to confuse you!!)[:-))]

Yes, it's the me, you, he/she/it form of aller, followed by the infinitive of another verb.  It doesn't have to be only  faire (that was a typo, it should have said that you can replace the faire quelque chose bit with another verb). 

• 2 weeks later...

I know we have been through this before but I still not happy I understand why ?

I'm bashing my head against my desk at the moment with he future tense. My teacher is teaching it in the form of Je vais attendre where as my books say j'attendrai., I under stand the first means I'm going to wait , the other I shall wait but what is the difference ? I can not find this first version in any of my books , and when would you use one in stead of the other ? Does the first version have another name other than the future tense? [:(][8-)]

Pads, you use "aller" in the way that Cathy has already told you in the second post[:'(]

"It can be used to speak about the immediate future, as in English.  You use the present tense of aller and the infinitive of the verb that follows."

As in "after I finish this letter,  I am going to eat"

I'm sure you have been told this before but using aller is called the futur proche. If its something that you are going to do say tomorrow or next month, then you use the future tense.

[quote user="Pads"]So I only use I going to do some thing  (if im talking about today ) , but if its tomorrow or after I use the future tense ? YES

seems abit pointless to me ?  You will find a lot of that in French but that's the way it is[blink]

[/quote]

Instead of 'shall' I find it easier to think of 'will' with the future tense (who uses 'shall' these days?).

J'irai au cinema la semaine prochaine = I will go to the cinema next week.

Je vais au cinema demain = I'm going to the cinema tomorrow.

"who uses 'shall' these days?".

Well, I do. I don't think I'm the only person. Surely. It has some very useful nuances, so I'd hate to see it disappear.

Aller, as I understand, is used in French as an auxilary verb as go is in English. Pouvoir (can), vouloir (want) and devoir (must) can work the same way. So: je veux aller - I want to go; je peux aller - I can go and so on. They all imply a future event, I think, but in English we don't have a "proper" future tense equivalent to that in French. Hence the occaisional confussion. It was explained to me that if one has a definate time frame in the near future in mind, go with aller plus infinitive, if it is a bit more hazy or distant, use the future.