Translation help please - note for doctor

lorna

I am writing a note for a visit to a consultant tomorrow. It is my first visit and I don't know if he speaks English.  My French is poor and I am using google translate to construct the note. Sometimes I can adjust the English to give what looks like a better French translation but sometimes I'm not sure.

I am trying to write:

I cannot climb steps or stairs because my left leg hurts if I try to put weight on it.

google translate is giving me:

Je ne peux pas monter des escaliers ou parce que ma jambe gauche fait mal si je tente de mettre le poids sur celle-ci.

It doesn't look right but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Help please.[:)]

I cannot climb steps or stairs because my left leg hurts if I try to put weight on it.

Je ne peux pas monter l'escalier car ma jambe gauche me fait mal quand je mets du poids dessus.

You might want to be specific:

the ankle = la cheville

the calf = le mollet

the knee = le genou

the thigh = la cuisse

the hip = la hanche

[quote user="Clair"]I cannot climb steps or stairs because my left leg hurts if I try to put weight on it.

Je ne peux pas monter l'escalier car ma jambe gauche me fait mal quand je mets du poids dessus.
You might want to be specific:

the ankle = la cheville
the calf = le mollet
the knee = le genou
the thigh = la cuisse
the hip = la hanche

[/quote]

Clair, it's even more specific with my OH at present; it's sa roturle!

Lorna, Good Luck!  Believe it or not, I've just been thinking about you............keep well, get better quickly!

Hi Sweets,  thanks for the good wishes.[:)].  It will be our first trip to the local hospital so it could all be a bit traumatic and end in tears - not sure whether for me or my OH who has to help me get around.

I had to look up roturle and couldn't find it - but quotidienne suggested rotule and the penny dropped.[:)]

Lorna, sorry, my French spelling is clearly not up to the job!

Don't worry, unduly.  You'll probably find that the doctor will be able to speak English.

Poor you, but I have a very good feeling that you'll get on just fine![:D]  That's a smile of encouragement BTW!

I've been discovering lots of anatomical vocab' over the last few monts!  Unsurprisingly the Latin and Greek names for things seem to work really well.  Thus Patella works fine for both the French and English and is easier to remember than rotule.  So if you get stuck and remember your o-level biology....[:D]

Yes, Coops, I did resort to Patella in the end as the doctor didn't know "knee-cap" and I didn't know "rotule".

In the end, it was the prescription for cannes anglaises that amused me as the sticker on the crutches definitely says "Made in France"..............

Well, it wasn't too bad after all. The doctor was charming and didn't mind my lack of French - I did apologise. He understood most of my English and his spoken English wasn't too bad although he was a bit uncertain of it. I did have a longish note in googlish French which I had prepared. He decided that my case was complicated - I knew that - and has suggested I go into the hospital for a few days for tests. So, after Easter I will have a scan and then a short stay. Apparently I will be in the care of the head of the department who speaks very good English. This is all a lot more than I was ever offered in the UK under the NHS.

Good show, Lorna!  I mean it's good about the consultant and the hospital, etc but, of course, not good that you have to have all this done.

Well, Good Luck with all of that.  Do let us know how you get on and I mean, on the forum or by PM or email if you wish.

In the meantime, enjoy your Easter (well, you could try and enjoy it, OK?)