Full and final settlement

Chancer

They all sound better!

I want to use the phrase in the context of - you are chasing me for X which I dispute, I calculate that I owe you Y and enclose a cheque to this value Y  in full and final settlement.

Specifically not a part payment or acceptance of the amount claimed.

Is one phrase more suitable than another in this instance?

I lifted the text: Ce paiment se fera contre bonne et valable quittance from a legal letter making an offer to the victim of an accident. In other words "take it or leave it".

I think it suits your purpose.

Hope that helps.

Ce paiment se fera contre bonne et valable quittance  envisages a 2 stage process, i.e. I make you an offer, and if you agree I will give you a cheque against receipt.

What the OP wants to do is to send a cheque under cover of a letter stating that the cheque is payment for all amounts in dispute. However, I don't believe this works. If you send a cheque "in full and final settlement", the payee can refuse that part, but still bank the cheque and sue for the rest.

Only once there is an acceptance of the offer should payment be made.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

They all sound better!

I want to use the phrase in the context of - you are chasing me for X which I dispute, I calculate that I owe you Y and enclose a cheque to this value Y  in full and final settlement.

Specifically not a part payment or acceptance of the amount claimed.

Is one phrase more suitable than another in this instance?

[/quote]Still grinding the old AXA are we [Www]

Ernie yes the AXa's are still trying to grind me down [:)]

I dont actually want to avoid a procedure judicaire, I wrote to them telling them that I waited with impatience but sadly they just keep engaging more and more recouvrement societies all of which add their bung to the "debt" without actually proceeding to the tribunal.

It has been interesting to see how many last chances I have had to avoid a tribunal, their latest "final" letter is very generously giving me the chance to pay the "debt" in 5 interest free payments. It is also interesting to see my local agent (the one that was attached to ErnieY's ankle) change his tune in 3 letters from "nous pouvons vous donner une suite favorable" to  "nous ne pouvons vous donner une suite favorable" and then to "nous ne pouvons accepter votre resiliation" -Whatever happened to double negation?

I have decided in the spirit of conciliation to offer them an out by paying them what I technically but not morally owe them.

I wont be holding my breath though.