Translation please

Bugsy

Cédé is the past participle of the verb céder (to give up) meaning "given up" or  "gave up"

Editted.

Gary in case you think that I am rubbing it in again Swissies last post arrived whilst I was typing this one, I know that its paranoia but once bitten etc............

[quote user="Bugsy"]Thanks. Strange that its not in any of our dictionaries.

Got it.

[/quote]

If you looked it up  on google (language tools on the main google page)

you would find:

verb
  1. break down
  2. give way
  3. cede
  4. surrender
  5. assign
  6. hand

over
  7. yield
  8. concede
  9. knuckle under
  10. transfer
I think 6 and 10 are probably the best translations in this case.

I have just come back from the Festival International du Film Animalier where one of the films was about castors (beavers), in the dialogue I heard "leur barrage a cedé" so that was the first time I thought of Bugsy, the second was at the give way sign coming back! [;-)]

Whilst talking languages another thing I think that I heard was "La mere et les enfants se taisent dans l'abri", is se taiser also used to signify to be shut away somewhere (I suppose it must be to shut oneself away) as well as to tell someone to shut up or did my ears decieve me?

[quote user="Chancer"]

I have just come back from the Festival International du Film Animalier where one of the films was about castors (beavers), in the dialogue I heard "leur barrage a cedé" so that was the first time I thought of Bugsy, the second was at the give way sign coming back! [;-)]

Whilst talking languages another thing I think that I heard was "La mere et les enfants se taisent dans l'abri", is se taiser also used to signify to be shut away somewhere (I suppose it must be to shut oneself away) as well as to tell someone to shut up or did my ears decieve me?

[/quote]

1) meaning 2 in my list above. 'given way'

2) I guess se tassaient ' settled down' for the second

Thanks everyone, its amazing how my brain which is so so useless all the rest of the time can follow a dialogue in French and still store anomolies like the above for later dissection, yet I spend most of my working day looking for various tools that I have put down less than 2 minutes before (losing the sight of one eye aggravated this) or walking down four flights of stairs for something only to forget what it is by the time I get there [:(]

Thats probably more likely although it did sound like se taisent, you know what its like, you have to keep up with the flow of conversation and follow the gist, easier of course because the dialogue was of the images being screened, but sometimes things just cry out to your subconscious mind; usually its when I have misheard a word and my brain says "it cant be that" but in this case it was "maybe it (se taire) can be used in that way also".

At least I have learned that it cant before I make a fool of myself saying "I have been shutting myself up all week" [:P]