Errors in grammar in French newspapers

NormanH

Don't count on using your local newspaper as a model of French.

Ours (MidiLibre) is often full of glaring errors!

Today a headline read

'La machine à replacer la main d'oeuvre' [:-))]

I think it was based on the 'machine à vendager' pattern, but the sense indicated clearly that it should have been

'La machine a remplacé....' [:@]

My neighbour gives us his local paper the day after he gets it and during the summer I felt very well informed about local stuff. (I also felt it improved my French, though to be honest new vocabulary is quite often in one ear and out the other these days.)

But I'd often have to read a longer sentence two or three times to get the sense of it, I think due to its journalese way of writing. I used to be good at spotting spelling or grammar errors in newspapers, occasionally miss them now. Norman, not much wrong with your observation skills.

[8-)]  Gallic humour ....

Sorry [:$] this French lass has lost any meaning or understanding in translation ...

Whether grammatical errors are made in French or in English, in even the best of publications, when you have a young future king, Eton educated, presenting his intended wife at a gathering of Welsh dignitaries as : 'Me and Catherine etc...' there is not much hope for us the plebs [:D]

[quote]

Gallic humour ....

[/quote]

Is that not an oxymoron?

I actually love the journalistic style of the French provincial press. Why use one word when ten flowery ones will do? These people believe that reports of court cases, deaths and meetings of the local petanque club deserve to be fashioned in potential Pullitzer Prize-winning style. Even the grammatical errors are dressed up in ornate adjectives.

As one whose own journalistic training centred heavily on conciseness, clarity and correctness, I love to see how others think it should be done. [;-)]

[quote user="Will"][quote]

Gallic humour ....

[/quote]

Is that not an oxymoron?

I actually love the journalistic style of the French provincial press. Why use one word when ten flowery ones will do? These people believe that reports of court cases, deaths and meetings of the local petanque club deserve to be fashioned in potential Pullitzer Prize-winning style. Even the grammatical errors are dressed up in ornate adjectives.

As one whose own journalistic training centred heavily on conciseness, clarity and correctness, I love to see how others think it should be done. [;-)]

[/quote]

......I agree. The style of the journalistic style in the provincial press is lovely and flowery. I guess they start losing their own personal styles when they start working for the bigger organisations.

Not quite on topic but my daughter sent me this which is on a postcard: 

LA BELGIQUE  SES FRITES

LA BELGIQUE S'EFFRITE