Tense? (and a bit stressed too!)

EuroTrash

Hi, I hope someone is going to tell me the answer to this:

If you're giving a fairly formal talk to a group of people, and you want to kick off by relating a sequence of events, would you do it in the perfect or the past historic? I'm hoping the perfect would be acceptable, I'd find past historics hard as I never use them.

I'm starting to think I've bitten off more than I can chew :(

NormanH: I would go further than that and say that the passé composé would be not just acceptable, but normal.  I think the "past historic" is really quite unusual in French speech (unless, of course, the speaker is reading from a text).

I agree with you all that the passé composé is usual in oral use, and perfectly acceptable in the circumstances.

However, the OP said "fairly formal talk to a group of people, and you want to kick off by relating a sequence of events,"

and the tense used for formal narration is the passé simple..

That's why I think it could be used in this  particular case.

It also gives the sense that things have definitively finished. There  used to be rule that if it happened over 24 hours ago it was told in the passé simple.

Thanks for that, it's a great relief as I had started writing it out in the passé composé, and then yesterday I happened to notice that something I was listening to on the radio was all in the past historic (it was someone summarising a singer's biography). Which put me into a panic.

allanb, I probably will be reading it all out from my notes but I'll be trying to look as if I'm not ...

Edit - sorry, crossed with N's last post

Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works here, but I notice that when guides are taking you round a historic building, they talk about the history in the present - or even the future - tense!  "Louis XIV va dire a sa femme...."   [8-)]

Angela

If I were listening to a talk (or reading a paper on something, for that matter) - I think I'd be more likely to enjoy it and respond to it if the speaker/writer was comfortable with the language, rather than being absolutely precise with it.  Thus, I'd use the tense which comes the most naturally to you.  The important thing is to interest and inform the audience - then they'll forgive the odd gramatical error/quirk, imho.

Thanks all. Loiseau, I think maybe I'll leave the fancy tense-shifting stuff for next time (and there won't be a next time!!!). Cooperlola, I'm going to cling on hard to your comment cos they'll have plenty of oddities, grammatical errors, quirks and franglicisms to forgive, so let's hope my natural charm and enthusiasm will win the day.

Incidentally, what's French for "Unnaccustomed as I am to public speaking ..."? !!!