'On tue le cochon'

Gardengirl

I was sent an email by a French friend just now - saying that her son in law had just announced it for 19th February, and she will try to come for it. I can't be a real pig - they don't have any. It sounds political - but whats happening on that date? Any thoughts please - I'm stumped.

Thanks all of you. I suppose it's possible that the son-in-law has obtained a pig in the last 3 months when we've been missing from France. But I can't imagine that my aged friend, in poor health, will be planning to come all the way from Switzerland for a pig-killing in the middle of winter, then return there. That's why I thought there must be another meaning, although my trusty large Oxfrd Hachette dictionary couldn't help out this time. I'm now waiting for further elucidation in the next email. I did suggest to her that it might be code for a bank robbery - that might be worth the journey from Switzerland! [:D]

But it is also an important social event when family and friends will gather with eats, drinks and celebration. The invitation to someone of the family far away does not necessarily imlpy that they would be expected to attend. A reply expressing good wishes for the success of the event would be sufficient. It can be disconcerting to some people, as a pig squeals loudly even as the throat is cut.

Yes, Norman, I feel that is right somehow, though it is just possible that, as my dear old French peasant neighbours do,  the pig is raised elsewhere and brought to them to settle down and then be killed. This is followed by a couple of days of preparing and cooking. All the family attend what turns out to be a very gluttinous and drunken feast, though the freezer is always full to bustin' by the end and there are plenty of bits for people to take home.

On tue le cochon to me at least means to make a big occasion out of a normal gathering, perhaps because someone special will be there or someone is making a long trip to be there, a bit like "we are pushing the boat out this time".

Of course if you decide to go they may then have to up their game and actually kill a pig in your honour!

A second email has arrived in answer to my query; it really is a pig - apparently some of their friends have a forest, and the SIL had decided to have one of the friend's pigs. My friend was sounding quite determined to travel to it, rather than just having been invited. She says she's looking forward to boudin with apples just like in her childhood.

Thanks everyone - it's been interesting learning more. If we're invited by any chance, I'll be back with more!

[quote user="Chancer"]

On tue le cochon to me at least means to make a big occasion out of a normal gathering, perhaps because someone special will be there or someone is making a long trip to be there, a bit like "we are pushing the boat out this time".

Of course if you decide to go they may then have to up their game and actually kill a pig in your honour!

[/quote]

And the principal guest gets to eat the eyes....uncooked.[:D]