How to translate 'assiette dégustation'?

NormanH

[quote user="Judith"]I think tasting platter covers it well - a platter is slighter larger than a plate (at least I always think so) and you are tasting several items ... certainly for me that its the best translation.
[/quote]What's more  - to my mind at any rate - "plate" conveys the china/plastic/pottery/paper job you put it on whereas "platter" conveys the dish and the contents.

The salad argument is still academic to me as I don't do raw food (well, apart from steak tartare, that is) but, like the French, I tend to think of it as basically green as well as inedible.[:)]

Yes, I like medley too NH. 

So I would say Tasting Platter: a delightful medley of.........   and then a list of the things that will go on the platter, which would hopefully merit the 'delightful' description. That's what I would do.

Menus these days are full of flowery language.

[quote user="NormanH"]...a pet hatred of mine is two nouns banged together into a compound rather than using a phrase Justice Minister instead of Minister of Justice). But I wander....[/quote]

I think you're fighting a losing battle there, Norman.  Banging nouns together without a preposition is standard English, surely: government spokesman, restaurant manager, sales director, cherry orchard, safety belt, vegetable soup...

[quote user="idun"]

So I would say Tasting Platter: a delightful medley of.........   and then a list of the things that will go on the platter, which would hopefully merit the 'delightful' description. That's what I would do.

Menus these days are full of flowery language.

[/quote]I remember having to create a whole raft of menus for a food court bid we did years ago.  Doing 100 plus definitions of various dishes tried our imaginations to the limit and at one point somebody came up with the wonderful "a host of golden fries."  At least we were able to have a good laugh as we were getting bored rigid by this time.  Second only to doing a wine merchant's list every year - 2000-odd different descriptions for wine.[:-))][:-))]