Passé composé question yet again!

mint

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="ericd"]

Am working from home now (unless I travel) so I can answer.....j'etais a mon ordinateur......j'etais sur mon ordinateur .....or.....j'etais dans mon ordinateur???????  [:P].....answer please without cheating.

[/quote]

Je l'ignore, but, surely, you've got to be en face de l'ordinateur?[geek]

Yes, Christine, that is far more akin to what I thought was correct (but I'm often wrong and as I said, computers were pretty rare when I learn French and I still struggle with the related language in both French and English!)

Here's another one for you.  Do you look something up a or sur l'Internet?

You know Coops, there are so many things I don't know in today's English (I learn some on here!).  Many terms I know in French, I have never heard in English.

So where is Sweets, elle est encore partie dans sa campagne ?

I wanted to say Sweets about your sur le parking instead of au parking.  I think you can say both, depending of/on/about what you are talking.   [:D]

In the case of Lidl, it would be sur le parking as in sur le terrain.  But when you have an enclosed parking as in multi storey car park, or underground car park, you would say "ma voiture est au parking" or "on se retrouve au parking".  That's how I see it anyway.  Maybe 5E or Ericd can confirm or correct si jamais ils sont sur leurs ordis.

Also when you fix a rendez-vous if you buy a lustre or something else, you can always tell each other what car you have so you can find each other easily.  Ca évite d'attendre "des lustres" (a long time, one lustre being five years!).   [8-|]

Et me voila!

Thank you, Christine, all is now clear about sur le parking.

As for the lustre, it was magnifique but I also bought two others, from another place totally, which are en cristal de Murano avec beaucoup de pampilles.  Sorry, showing off, not so much about the magnificence of the lustres but about the word pampilles that even my French friend does not know.  Hah, felt very smart....

As for sur la télé or sur l'internet, I felt that was fair enough.

What I do have a problem with is "il s'est tombé dans les escaliers"!  O la, la, how does one fall inside the stairs?  The mind truly boggles...

Actually, Sweets, my greatest triumph during my earlier post was learning how to do a French accented e on my iPad! I reckoned if I was going to be so grammatically nitpicking, I had better not lay myself open to mockery on that!

Angela

[quote user="sweet 17"]

O la, la, how does one fall inside the stairs?  The mind truly boggles...

[/quote]I managed it once while we were rebuilding an old staircase which turned out to be even more in need of repair than I thought[:D]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

I've just noticed Sweets, it's better to say "il s'est cassé une jambe", rather than la jambe (unless of course you say la jambe gauche or la jambe droite).

[/quote]

Interesting comment !!!.....!!!! both can be said.....IMO.....

[quote user="ericd"].Alouette ! [:D][/quote]

Hah, that's a skylark!  Even I know that [:P] because I looked it up only yesterday when OH said that we have some "pieds d'allouette" in the garden.  Must find pictures of these flowers sur l'internet.

So, altogether now, I'm sitting in the room with my piano as well as ordi...one, two, three, commensez...well, you all know the tune, don't you?[:D]

It also occurrred to me, Christine, that, in English, you can fall off the stairs as well as down them and, if you are Rabbie, you can also fall in the stairs.

En plus, believe it or not, the OH actually fell up the stairs when we first moved in here!  Well, he was coming up the stairs with a carton of milk in his hand and fell up the stairs, spilling a lot of milk ........