All those gestures

idun

OK I am showing my age, but why oh why do so many people seem to find it necessary to use their hands when talking, reminds me of Lenny the Lion![:-))]

OR ofcourse sometimes being of a slow wit, maybe everyone knows what these gestures mean and I don't?

I think I noticed initially with the most awful Blair man, but tv journalists do it a lot as do so many other folks.

Now I realise that many french people do talk with their hands, but not all and most of my friends in France don't, for which I am grateful for, OR maybe that is one reason why they are my friends.

Do any of you do this and if you do, is it something that everyone else understands or just comme ça, and are you aware that you are doing it?

I am aware that I am doing it more and more, it too was something that used to bug me, I only seem to do it in French and I thinks its to reinforce the message that I am trying to get over.

People in the media are trained to do it and I can tell you from personal experience that if you dont then you look really boring and unanimated. I was filmed for a video diary at the place where I became a born again fit healthy person, I was really passionate about the place but my immobility (and no doubt nevousness) in front of the camera gave the opposite impression, someone even commented very nastily about it saying "wheres the passion?" the owners retorted saying that they used real people to do their testimonials not celebs, in fact they did use one celeb and when I saw her video footage she seemed to be flirting with the camera, almost getting inside it at times.

The next time I was filmed I had some coaching, what I said and how i said it was no different, just the body language, the difference was astounding.

How I agree, as yes, they are bloody boring for the most part. I know this as I often listen to the tv rather than watch, I hear them droning on and on and on about absolutely nothing.

So the idiots do nothing for me, waving their arms around, no matter the nationality.

Not quite the same thing but one of my sons worked at a school for severely disabled children, many who whom were completely deaf.  He taught himself sign language (the school wouldn't pay for a course) and he would frequently sign as he talked to anybody, deaf or not, he still does it from time to time.  He learnt something called Mackerton (sp?) which is a simpler version of signs used a lot by children

One that I think is great but which threw me when I arrived was the drunken person gesture, twisting the thumb and forefinger of a clenched fist around the end of the nose.

Sadly most of the gestures around here are pejorative, the one that I hate with a vengeance is the rubbing of thumb and forefinger together to say someone is well off, always done with spite, hatred and venom behind someones back whose only crime is to have worked for something that others are jealous of and want to deprive them of, it is pretty much the worse insult and all too commonly used.

I have never ever seen the bras d'honneur used and have often wondered what the reaction would be. 

LOL I have seen a bras d'honneur a few times. As an english man Chancer, you would probably take to it quite badly, but I have seen a return gesture, either the same or just a finger.

I have seen a lot of posturing and obvious anger lots of times, but hardly any fights. The last fight I saw was caused by the retired garde champetre, who was soul comme d'hab!

Always amazed me how people could engueule one another so much and there be no fights. But that is 'my' France and from what I can gather, even though lots of the people were I knew were from all over France, the alpine air must have 'changed' them as everywhere else, everyone else is super polite and never argue......... well, according to this board they are.[blink]

I've become aware that I do throw my hands about especially when I'm speaking French. Maybe I'll be more careful after today. Our French friend is on a visit and at lunchtime I was expostulating at the table and knocked over a mug of soup when I inadvertently caught the spoon standing up in it with my flailing hand.

Result? Clean tablecloth needed, carpet had to be scrubbed, whilst I had to effect a complete change of clothing. Very embarrassing sneaking past dressed in bra and pants trying not to be seen.[:(]