Two Words, Sounds Like...........

CSV

My new GPS has come up with two words that I've never come across before. As they are spoken I have no idea how they are spelt, so can't look them up in the dictionary.

Any clue as to what they are would be helpful.

The first sounds like 'germo' and seems to be when the requirement is to follow the 'main' road as it comes to a junction where another road splits off.

The second sounds like 'christies' and is used mainly on dual carriageways and motorways when leaving at a junction (christies a droit)

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="CSV"]The first sounds like 'germo' and seems to be when the requirement is to follow the 'main' road as it comes to a junction where another road splits off.

[/quote]

Could that be légèrement ? As in slightly to the right/left ?

Sue

[/quote]

Sounds good to me [:)]

One down, one to go. Thanks

[quote user="richard51"]Could also be sortie. - exit on right.

Given the rather large difference between this and the last post I would go the change language route on the sat nav.

We have a garmin and its rather amusing to listen to the pronunciation of the various street names in France,[/quote]

I think I'll have to pay more attention next time, but I think Betty may be right [:)]

I won't be changing the language - it seems GPS are designed to work only with the language of the country they are navigating.

We had a long trip last year through France, Germany, Denmark and Sweden with a borrowed GPS. Setting it to English in France was OK, but impossible in Scandinavia - the pronunciation was nothing like the street signs, so we resorted to comparing street names with the GPS display. Once back in Germany I set it to German and then French in France, which made things a lot easier.

If I can't figure out what 'Juliette' is saying at least I know what she means [:D]

Really cant see your logic here.

If its "stay on the right", then it either means exit or keep to the right hand lane of the carriageway.

The latter seems a somewhat unusual command on the motorway or perhaps it knows you are already on the right carriageway.

You actually do say using the English setting in France was OK. I can see no reason why the set language has to be that of the country you are driving in, except for some rather funny pronunciations being made. Presumably its merely switching to another word look-up table or character recognition table.

Presumably you used the visual display to guide you. When the words were spoken, what did you actually do?

As the OP states quite clearly "is used on dual carriageways or motorways when leaving at a junction" (note the last 5 words) the logic seemed pretty sound to me.

And, as you have also pointed out in your post, it either means exit or keep to the right hand lane...which seems imminently sensible if you're turning off the road you're on.

[quote user="richard51"]That is either carry on in the right hand lane (usually it also carries on on the motorway) or turn off. Which one?

Also if English is ok driving in France, what is the problem.

Echoes of bridges over streams. Has Emirates been told off for calling it an air line?

[/quote]

You are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I live in France. The language I speak, when out of the house, is mostly French. The GPS is French. I use a laptop that has a French version of Windows on it.

Can you see where I'm going here?

The GPS has come up with a word I do not know.

I would like to know what it is.

That is all