It left a nasty taste in my mouth

Hoddy

I am writing to a French friend who has no English at all. I want to say this or something that means this in French and realise that a straight translation won't necessarily be right. Is there a similar expression in French ? Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

I'm sorry I've been away from my computer for a couple of days. You are right Eric. I expressed my original question badly.

What I'm trying to do is describe a transaction between someone we both know and me. If I were saying it in English I would want to use the 'nasty taste' expression, but I realise that a straight translation is very unlikely to fit the bill.

I wondered if there was something relatively mild but unpleasant that I could use.

This isn't a very good explanation either and my thanks and apologies to those who have tried to help me so far.

Thanks for giving a bit more on it Hoddy. You therefore bought something from someone you both know and it turned out to be a bad deal.... you have been tricked ..... if that's correct, you could say something in the lines of "mauvaise experience, je m suis fait avoir" .... but this is only valid if my guess above is correct.

Well ...... where do we start ...? If I think of something else, I will come back to you but just now ....

. Je me suis fait avoir

. Je me suis fait entuber (slight slang)

. Un (as one person) dont je me rappelerai

. Cela me servira de lesson

. Ça (cette expérience)me reste au fond de la gorge.

. Je suis écoeuré de ce qu'il m'a fait (thats a close translation)