Catherine Laboure

Domp80

I think the original Saint Catherine story was that she was a religious girl who was married against her wishes and refused to sleep with her husband or give up her religion.  As a result, she was tied onto a huge wheel with spikes on it and rolled down a hill - hence the St Catherine's wheel.  Grim stuff, huh?........

......Make a good storyline for something like Emmerdale or Eastenders though......

Chrissie (81)

And I forgot to add, having seen Domy's posting, that in Denmark if you are an unmarried female on your 30th birthday everyone gives you pepperpots!  Have no idea why, but it's expensive going round buying up the salts to match....

(That's my educational/cultural posting for this month done!)

Chrissie (81)

[quote]I think the original Saint Catherine story was that she was a religious girl who was married against her wishes and refused to sleep with her husband or give up her religion. As a result, she was tie...[/quote]

Chrissie, thanks for giving us the rest of the story.

Re. the Danish custom, I think the Swedes have a similar one but not with pepper pots.

Gill

So why do school kids celebrate it while most Saints days go un- noticed ?

I think it's to do with the unmarried girls thing. Ste catherine's day used to be a major celebration for any young girl (until she hit 26-then she became an embarrassment) there used to be hat competitions and parades etc. 

So why do school kids celebrate it while most Saints days go un- noticed ?

I think it's to do with the unmarried girls thing. Ste catherine's day used to be a major celebration for any young girl (until she hit 26-then she became an embarrassment) there used to be hat competitions and parades etc. 

Sainte Catherine : Patron saint for all virtuous young ladies whom by the age of 26 have not yet known what the opposite gender is about!!

Girls, still not married and still virgins (really!) are given by their family and made to wear a bonnet/hat with lots of fanciful adornments in the vain hope that some bloke in the village or at the fair will find one of them attractive enough and marry her..... 

Now if you think it does no longer happens... Some 12/15 years ago, I have helped my sister at her tender age of 26 to wear such bonnet! ... She did find someone eventually.... but did not marry him, just lived with him happily ever after as they say...

I never asked her if she did fully meet all of the criterion...