Make Sunday a hunting free day!

Mjc

Ever wanted to walk or ride in the woods on a Sunday, but afraid of being shot at? ASPAS, and many other organisations are lobbying to make Sunday a hunt free day throughout France, so that all may enjoy the countryside. If you're interested, you can download a petition form from:-

http://www.aspas-nature.org/petitionsaspas03/petitionchasse.htm

or you can visit their site at:

http://www.aspas-nature.org/

Good Hunting! Ooops! Sorry, good walking and riding.

[quote]Ever wanted to walk or ride in the woods on a Sunday, but afraid of being shot at? ASPAS, and many other organisations are lobbying to make Sunday a hunt free day throughout France, so that all may en...[/quote]

Some hope! The vast majority of "hunters" - call them what you will - work Monday to Saturday. They have a very powerful lobby.

I do walk most Sundays, but make sure I'm not walking too close to guns.

I agree, Christopher. It's like hunting was "obligatoire" on Sundays, never mind optional. I have noticed though that there's a lot of activity early morning,about 8am, onwards. Then the afternoons are quiet. So perhaps a Sunday afternoon stroll is safe. Pat.

Nice to hear from you again Zeb100,

CAMPAGNE DE CHASSE 2004-2005

Selon l'ONCFS 25 personnes, tous chasseurs, sont mortes dans 167 accidents de chasse. 142 personnes ont été blessées dont 12 non-chasseurs.

That's why some people are a bit concerned about going for walks in the woods.

I think that one day at the weekend is fair enough to have as a hunt free day and I don't think that the "there's no point" approach is much of a case for doing nothing, if everyone took that attitude nothing would ever change. It takes a few minutes and a postage stamp.

Cheers, Chris

Hello

I go out every sunday with my dogs. I perhaps walk on average 6-8km. When I am out during the hunting season (which is quite short) I tend to be a little bit more vigilant. If I see a hunter or hunters I usually put my dogs on a lead until I am clear of them. I sometimes pass the time of day with the hunter/hunters. Now if I come across a Battue ( that is a organised drive of wild boar around these parts) I give the area a bit of a detour. Now that is what I call being tolerant, respecting other peoples rights and generally integrating into the community that I live in. Why for gods sake can't you coexist and just let people get on with their lives. These people were hunting long before you were even thought of.

Have a good day but be careful if you go down to the woods.

Zeb100 - Firstly the petition is organised by a French association and is only to make Sunday a hunt free day, not to stop hunting.  As I have said elsewhere "France" and the French people like to think of them selves as a family orientated country, hence heavy goods vehicles are not allowed on the roads on Sundays with the exception of fresh and frozen produce. You don't actually know what my nationality is and I can assure you that many, if not most, French people feel the same way.  

One day a week for 97% of the population?

Unreasonable?

All manner of things happened before I was thought of, I don't quite see what that proves other than that I am a human being and therefore finite.

Cheers, Chris

Most hunters work a five or six day week, why should they not be allowed out so that others are.  Round here they are only allowed to hunt two days a weeks anyway, Thursdays and Sundays.  We hear them (very close by) and frequently see them on Sunday mornings and if they're walking in the lanes they usually carry their guns "broken" but I don't think I've ever hear a shot after mid-day.  I've also never seen any that would appear to be under the influence of alcohol as many people on this forum have complained about in the past.  But as I've said before, I clearly live in a very "rosey" part pf France.  Compromise is what it's all about, what about giving the huntrs free rein in the mornings and taking your walks in the woods in the afternoon? (it's usually a bit warmer at this time of year by then anyway).

Besides, look just how well the hunting ban has worked in the UK.  Does anyone really believe that banning it on Sundays here would make a ha'porth of difference?  I don't think so!  And at least the hunters in this country actually eat what they kill.

Hello Chris

The hunting season is already very short. You want all the sundays of the year to yourself. Like all minority pressure groups you  are very vocal and very selfish. Perhaps you do have some support in the urban areas and from second homers. You will not get your wish, the hunting lobby is too strong and controls too many votes in rural France. You really do need to learn how to live with other peoples views. Have you met any hunters who object to you walking in the countryside on a sunday?

Regards

Around me it can sound like WW III most of Sunday and you would need to be suicidal to go out for a walk. I agree with the “live and let live” thought but that is a two way thing, non-hunters have to live with hunters and hunters have to live with non-hunters.

My age (or at least the age I feel on occasions) means that actually most of these people were not hunting before I was even thought of.

It may be true that many hunters work 5 or 6 days per week, but the same is true of many non-hunters.

As pointed out, this is not a group of ex-pats trying to change the country they live in but something organised by the French. As an aside, I live full time in France and am thus to a large extent a local. I have the right to live here and thus have every right to make my voice heard on issues affecting me. The “guest in their country” is not an attitude I adopt. I am living in France (part of Europe).

I think ideas like hunt on Sunday morning and not in the afternoon is excellent. Similarly, more geographical separation (e.g. woods west of path non-hunting, east for hunting). I think the proposal is to “work together” and re-establish something of a balance where people consider it too one sided in favour of the hunters at the moment. Sounds like Coco’s area has tried to establish a balance with hunting only allowed two days a week. Maybe not ideal for people who work 6 days per week but better than nothing and is a “compromise”. No such restrictions round my area. Even get people out hunting in the fields around my house at 22:00 at night any day of the week.

Like the US gun laws, just because a group has a powerful lobby base does not make the freedoms they are given right.

Ian

Zeb seems to me to be very blinkered. As one respondent has said, this thread is mot about banning hunting, but about sharing the countryside equably.

As it stands at the moment, less than 3% of the population have carte blanche to monopolise large parts of the countryside to the exclusion of many others who also work throughout the week to earn their leisure time.

I, for the record, am a permanent resident of France and live in the heart of the country. I have signed the petition, as have my country born and bred neighbours, one of whom is the local mayor - so this is not just a Brit newcomer thing. A very large majority of French are anti hunting, but are simply not vociferous. This petition is simply to allow the 97% of the population, if they wish, to be able to roam the countryside freely without danger of being maimed or killed. In this area, hunting is permitted every day of the week and, despite the alleged 6 days working, guns can be heard both morning and afternoon on several week days in the season.

As for the "hunters actually eating what they kill", this is absolute nonsense. Last year they killed 25 fellow hunters!

We have been over this again and again on different threads.  Of course what you say Mjc is absolutely correct, the majority of French people are not chasseurs, who also work all week, and therefore deserve respect and peace and quiet to be able to enjoy the nature and countryside, all year round, at least on certain days.  What Ian says above is also correct and we must all be able to live together, with the chasseurs also respecting those who do not hunt.  I have already mentioned another association "Rassemblement Anti Chasse" on another thread.  I went to their stand at the recent nature exhibition at Menigoute and became a member for a very small sum for what they have to offer in return concerning help and guidance.  Their site alone is a great source of information.

They also have a petition for no-hunting on Wednesdays and Sundays :

Texte de la pétition

Le gouvernement  français a supprimé le mercredi sans chasse pour laisser à l'appréciation des préfets et des fédérations de chasseurs, le pouvoir de déterminer des jours de non-chasse, ou non. Dans les faits,  une  trêve cynégétique  est essentielle pour le partage de l'espace naturel entre tous les usagers. La très grande majorité des Français ne chasse pas et nous estimons que deux jours de tranquillité par semaine représenteraient un partage plus équitable des activités liées à la nature. Il y a une incompatibilité et un danger réels à faire se côtoyer des activités dont l'une d'entre elles s'exerce avec des armes.  Comment s'y retrouver quand on se  promène d'une région à l'autre de France si chaque département peut pratiquer des restrictions différentes de celles de son voisin ?  
Nous en appelons à vous Monsieur le Commissaire européen pour inciter le ministère responsable à modifier sa décision choquante et antidémocratique.

Zeb100, we are not saying that there should be no chasse, but it would be appreciated if there were certain days when we could go out with family and children without having to wonder where they are...

Hello

Going off a bit. What irritates me are gangs of ramblers and cyclists who won't get out of my bloody way when I am trying to offroad on my quad bike or 4x4. They selfish and a nuisance and they should be banned on a sunday. Also they should have a limited season of about 5 months of the year preferably the ones with the most inclement weather.

Regards from "Keep Sunday for the Hummers Association"

Ps and all ramblers and cyclists should have to do a course and pass a exam before being let loose on the general public who are trying to enjoy their sunday.

[quote]Hello Seriously, you are asking to take 20 days off a already short hunting season which I think is unreasonable and you have not come up with a valid argument to change my mind. Regards Zebby Ps...[/quote]

20 days must mean 20 Sundays, which is, if my arithmetic is correct a period of 20 weeks. Are you with me so far? Then, all six days of the rest of the week are avaiable for hunting which makes a grand total of 120 days available for hunting. Not enough?

Zeb, in your earlier posting you say "Like all minority pressure groups you  are very vocal and very selfish." Don't you think that less than 3% (hunters) comprise a small minority presure group.

Nah! I can tell from your various inputs to this thread, that you are "just 'avin a larf!"  Quad bikes indeed!

Anyway, let's hope that enough people who have read this topic have now logged on to the ASPAS (French!) web site and down loaded and signed the petition.

Right, home at last!

Coco - interesting that you say most hunters work 5 or 6 days a week,  did this information come from INSEE?   You are indeed fortunate that where you live it is only allowed to hunt 2 days a week, what part of France would that be and what is the legislation for this 2 days only?  The "compromise" is that which is being suggested - one day a week at the weekend on Sunday - family day and a ban is not being discussed on this thread. 

Zeb100 - The hunting season in France is, as you know, one of the longest, in Europe and in fact is broken every year by those that "start early".  In my limited experience support is widespread in the rural community where I live and I have no problem living with other peoples views, that's normal life - can you live with mine?  Yes I have meet hunters who object to me walking in the countryside when they are hunting and have been told, not politely, to go away when I was in no way interfering with their activity. I have also meet hunters who have been incredibly polite and friendly - but none of this is the issue! It's about SUNDAY.

If people wish to discuss other aspects of what is called hunting (which of course is not one thing as there are many types and forms of hunting)  or 4x4's       START ANOTHER THREAD and those that wish can discuss it there.

Best, Chris

Hello Chris

The problem with your argument is that you seem to want all the cake (52 sundays) you don't seem to want to share it with anyone else at all. Now that is being pretty greedy. What will you want next, all the wednesdays and then all the mondays. You are hiding behind the family thing you just want to ban hunting. I suppose you feel the same about the use of animals to further scientific knowledge ect. You like most of the tree huggers are a little bit too narrow minded for comfort.

Regards

Zeb wrote:-

"The problem with your argument is that you seem to want all the cake (52 sundays) you don't seem to want to share it with anyone else at all. Now that is being pretty greedy."

As far as I can see, Chris (nor I for that matter) want all 52 Sundays for ourselves. We are perfectly willing and happy to share them with the 97% of the French population which does not hunt, say about 53 million in total. Now that's not exactly greedy, is it?

On the other hand, the <3% of the population which does shoot, does want exclusive rights for 20 Sundays to vast tracts of the countryside. Now THAT'S what I call pretty greedy.

I've been reading the regulations for La Chasse in the Mairie. They come from the Prefecture and it seems that hunting is allowed every day from before sunrise until after sunset during the season. There are a few exceptions but not for deer or sanglier. If anyone has any objections they should apply to the prefecture to appear before the tribunal within two months of the posting of the notice. Pat.

Wrong Mjc I have not met a hunter who objects to people roaming the countryside on a sunday. It is just not advisable to walk through a battue. Although there's a thought, It certainly would be a good trophy- a sad brit tree hugger's head hung on the wall, the thought is enough to temp me back to hunting.

when you go down to woods today you could have a nasty suprise so take care.

Regards