Bastille Day

Megan le Fey

I know I should be asking serious cultural questions[:P] but what I would really like to know is, do we have a full blown, everything shut public holiday on Saturday and are the supermarkets etc likely to carry it forwards to Monday as well?

Thank you very much to everyone who answers. 

We are travelling tomorrow and arriving on Saturday, we booked for the 13th without thinking about Bastille day being on the 14th, stupid I know. [:$] In any case, I called our local Leclerc and they are open, so I would assume that most of the shops will be open as usual.

A hell of a lot of people are going to starve round here if the shops are shut....the camp sites are filling up fast along this part of the Vendee coast and there is real money to be made !  If  its like last year  you take your life in your hands walking along the prom on Bastile Day evening as the kids fire their hand held roman candles  up at you off the beach.......yea I know ....I am a grumpy old man ....... and its no more than we did as kids .!

In our area the supermarkets that are open are only open until mid-day. We do, however, have one supermarket that opens every Sunday morning, and an Intermarche which is now open Sunday mornings during July/August. Might be why they have chosen a half-day for Saturday.