La Rentrée!

Bonjour France-based forum-users,

We're writing about La Rentrée and want to hear your experiences...

How do you feel about going back to school or work after the long French holiday - trepidation? Excitement at seeing friends and colleagues again?

How do you prepare for it?

Why do you think it's such a big deal in France?

How is the event marked where you work/go to school?

Thanks!

Carolyn

Editor, France Magazine

I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about.  Two days ago it was headline news, the very first thing covered on the French lunchtime news slot... family gets back from holiday, grass has grown and needs cutting, lots of mail in postbox, loads of junk mail in postbox (it's rentrée time, of course there is) lots of washing to do, etc, I kid you not!  Was that really the most important thing going on in the world?  Well yes, perhaps it was, if you happen to be French.

And then there's the annual kerfaffle about buying a new school bag, why does that take up so much news-time?  I'd say the rentrée was as big as, if not bigger than, easter here.  But perhaps (like Christmas) it has been pushed and pushed by the stores selling whatever it is kids simply can't be without at this time of the year.

Cynical, moi?

Edit, just to prove that I'm not making it up, here's that headline news report...

http://videos.tf1.fr/video/news/0,,4019087,00-apres-les-vacances-la-remise-en-route-.html

[quote user="Puzzled"]Christmas at my supermarket starts in November yet the Rentrée practically starts when they break up![/quote]

November? You're lucky. In the UK I have already seen the first harbingers of Christmas.

Only 120 shopping days, 2 hours, 40 minutes, and 3 seconds to go (at the time of writing)

Richard T

I have a problem with La Rentree this year.  Three of my children are returning to schools all on the same day - 2nd September.  They are in three different schools.  I can't be with all of them at the same time.  So I've had to enlist friends to take two of my children, complete with their tenues and their duvets and pillows and sheets and their tuck and their very heavy books to their boarding schools, whilst I accompany another child.  In previous years, the rentree has been staggered.

Is anyone else facing the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Fame at last Cat!

Whilst my eldest and I were in Auchan buying some books for the rentree we had a snigger about all the "must have" items for the rentree. Auchan (as did the other supermarkets) had notices on EVERYTHING , rentree this and rentree that, my daughter spotted one on the fixture for goats cheese log......... "what are we supposed to do with that? write with it"  she laughed........