I am overweight and American. Will I feel welcome in France?

Jesse

I am 27 years old, overweight and American. I believe that the French people are masters of the senses and this is why I am looking forward to visiting Paris. I love to eat and I eat well. I love to eat, drink, smoke and love in excess. I also enjoy good debate and love laughter. It is my opinion that the French people, more than any other society, are lovers of good food and wine and are not like so many other nations that make people feel bad for being overweight and living life and living to excess. I do this quietly however, I am not boisterous to the extent of being annoying and obnoxious.

When I visit Paris, how will people feel about me as an overweight American? Will I be looked down upon and considered an American pig for eating and drinking and enjoying myself?

well I wouldn't venture into any clothes shops in Paris, that's for sure. As a generous size 14 myself (oh, OK OK, perhaps a size 16 if I don't kid myself!), I found going into Parisian clothes shops most intimidating. The stick-thin assistants gave me fairly withering looks and looked horrified when I took clothes to try on. I am sur ethey were listening at the door for the ripping of fabric and buttons exploding off their expensive creations. I rarely found anything in my size anyway since Parisian clothes are not for us ladies who like our lunch.

But in bars and restaurants, no problem. I think the only danger is being seen as a naive American with more money than sense and being shortchanged, i.e. handing over a note and getting a handful of euros and not bothering to count it and find you're short.

IMO, French people are like people everywhere; some are open-hearted and some are not.  You sound like an out-going, friendly sort of bod so you're off to a good start as far as being viewed positively goes.  If you visit France, try to make sure that Paris is not your only port of call.  France has so very much to offer.  You would be cheating yourself if you didn't take the opportunity to see more of her when you have the chance (especially the South).  Whatever you decide, I hope you really enjoy your visit to this incredible country.  Hopefully, it will be the beginning of a life-long romance...[:D]

Yep, January should be pretty chilly![:D]  BTW, I forgot to add to my last posting; If you don't already speak French, try to learn a little before you come.  Lots of people here do speak English (especially in the cities) and are happy to help floundering foreigners BUT, they definitely prefer it if said flounderer makes a little effort first.

I think you are not very big - why not visit merry England no language problems and you will be of below average size at a good real ale pub. You could check out some rugby - though they do play a bit in France too.

It will also be much cheaper (due to exchange rates) and the beer and food comes in bigger portions plus there are plenty of speciality shops if you want some european threads.

thank you and yes, I will definitely learn some French before I go.

I will visit England some day, but France is where I belong now.

FYI,

I was deciding between a trip on the Trans-Siberian Railroad from China to Moscow, or perhaps India, but I am almost positive it will be France.

thank you to everyone who has posted and thank you to those that will!

Jesse

I guess the question is - how well would a non-English speaking person get on in a visit to New York?

Even with good intentions about learning the language you are not going to have deep conversations with the locals. So best to research (as you are doing) where you might meet other francophile compatriots, with whom you can enjoy exploring this fantactic city.

Bon chance!