The French ability to cultivate the self

Kay

[quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="You can call me Betty"][quote user="Pickles"][quote user="Russethouse"]What I admire is that two new members have apparently joined the forum just so they can comment on this book......[Www][/quote]

And despite desperately wanting answers, neither has been seen since.

[/quote]

But we're having just as much fun without them, aren't we? And no-one's bought the book?[/quote]

Yes, but personally, I'd prefer it if we weren't providing free publicity for a freeloader. Hence the suggestion to remove references to the author and title.

[/quote]

Oh, I think we're providing them with the sort of "free publicity" that money can't buy...[Www]

[/quote]

And certainly, I like to feel I've helped the book in my small way by "liking" both the thoughtful and considered reviews (averaging a whole 2 stars) on the .co.uk Amazon site. [:D]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, here come the conspiracy theorists. I guess no forum is complete without those. No, I don't work for any publisher and don't care about promoting anyone's book. Some of us are busy, darling. Here's the explanation:

I am the person who recently read the book (audiobook actually), and have been intensely curious about this matter ever since.

The person posting the original question is my assistant. I asked her to go and research the improvement versus cultivation thing, and she found this site. When she updated me on her findings and gave a link to the thread, I found it interesting and decided to chime in myself for some discussion. Mystery solved. Here's a Scooby snack ;)

Both the book about French Women and the three "before" movies (Before Sunrise, Sunset, and Midnight) sparked my interest in potentially living in Paris in 2014, so I'm only starting my journey now.

I really appreciate everyone chiming in. I did email the author and ask her the same question, but she hasn't gotten back. I will try again, and if she replies I'll definitely post it here.

[quote user="Zero Cool"]I've read that book. It seems like the author was saying that the French are not that interested in improving themselves. She did say they are interested in cultivating themselves. Now that you pose this question, I want to know the answer as well. What the heck does cultivating yourself mean?[/quote]

If the first person was your "assistant"....has (s)he also read the book? Was (s)he posing the OP on your behalf as you suggest? If so, your first post (above) seems a little odd. You say "I want to know the answer as well", yet your more recent post implies that you are, in fact, the only person who wants to know the answer, as the original question was, in fact, posed on your behalf by a third party.

Perhaps I have now made myself clearer.

Aaaahhh right. Well I was hoping to keep the discussion on the actual question at hand, but to answer your post... I didn't know what she would do in her research. She was posting as me because it seems funny to say she's posting this for someone else. I wasn't planning to jump onto a forum, but I found this one interesting, that's all. Hopefully you can forgive the transgression :)

Yeah, I'm glad I found the forum. Living in France is a new interest of mine. I actually read the book because I was curious how the author lays out the differences between American and French women when it came to dating, relationships, and sex. I used to teach social skills back in Boston, so that's something I like learning about. Despite the Amazon reviews, I actually really liked the book.

[quote user="woolybanana"]There is a school of thought that it is her daughter and not RH herself In that foto.[/quote]

Quite right, it's my daughter in my avatar, ( and I think that was 10 years ago) but I doubt if Zero Cool will have to worry too much about dating if he moved to France......leave alone the French ability to cultivate the self.....

Well, as I'm 107, I feel a warning may be in order. This article is a little bit old, but I happen to use the story in one of my classes. It's a lesson in the dangers of believing in avatars.....(not that I'm casting aspersions about anyone on here...)

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1085412/Revealed-The-woman-Second-Life-divorce--whos-engaged-web-cheat-shes-met.html[/url]

[quote user="woolybanana"]You will find, ZC, that most of the ladies on this site are distinctly on the matronly side. If however you wish to become a toyboy, I am sure they would be only too willing to oblige. Indeed, they might even throw in their daughters as a bonus![/quote]

Your heads above the parapet now !!!