Gateau Basque

Iceni

Having had this recently I have looked at all the various recipes and none come close to the one I had.  I have just cooked one and with 250 grms of butter I was not surprised to see that most of it had pooled on the bottom of the oven. I can tell already that it is going to be nothing like the one I had

It seems that various countries have their own version, Canada I can understand but Australia... The closest I can find is a pastry base with an almond cake on top with jam between (Bakewell tart anyone?) but no recipe for this. Most recipes on the web have cream or custard in.  Does anyone have a recipe for a 'real' one.

Thanks - and I still have to eat the artery hardening version I have made, lucky I like butter.  I will just have to keep going back to this bar until it appears as a desert on the fixed menu.

This is from the book  "Floyd on France"

1 free range egg and 4 egg yolks

7 oz (200 gr) unsalted butter, softened

8 oz. (250 gr) caster sugar

Pinch of salt

Finely grated rind of 1 Lemon

12 oz. (350 gr) flour, sifted

10fl oz (300ml) rich milk (not that de-creamed stuff), warmed

Beat l whole egg and 2 yolks in mixing bowl, then beat in the softened butter, 7 oz (200 g) sugar, the salt, lemon rind and finally 11 oz (325 gr) of the flour until you have a smooth and shiny mix. Leave that for 1 hour in a cool place.

Meanwhile beat the remaining sugar and flour together with 2 egg yolks in a saucepan. Over a low heat stir in the warmed milk. Keep stirring until you have a thick custard. Allow to cool.

Butter a shallow cake tin and put two thirds of the cake mix, then the custard (the french call it creme patissiere) and cover with the  remaining cake mix. Bake in the oven at gas mark 6, 400F (200 C) for about 40 minutes.

Allow to cool before tipping out of the cake tin.

It sounds good and I am just going to try to do it!

I thought from the start of the recipe Monika posted that it was going to be a Quart Quart.  (French for Madeira cake)

I often make one when I have more than the usual glut of eggs.

Often do a Far Breton too.

Not at the moment as am on diet!  AGAIN!  Or should that be STILL

[quote]Iceni, every recipe I have seen has some sort of squidgy filling in it like creamy custardy stuff. So what has the one you had in, in?[/quote]

Hi Teamedup. The one I had was served with Creme Anglais and did not have it in - neither did the recipe I tried. Mind you with a cup of jam and all that butter a very thin slice is all we can cope with before needing a large glass of water to cut the fat/sweetness.

I have just found another recipe which is just like Bakewell tart, even down to the pastry case. I will just have to go back to the bar again and again until I work out what it was made with .

Ah well, my version will do very well in the bottom of ramekins with peaches in butterscotch sauce and creme fresh. After the peach glut this year I have a freezer full of them.

Thanks for all your help.